Any good use for Hickory bark?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Getting back into the woods now that the temps are down. I have a bunch of big Hickory rounds to finish splitting that fell last year in the Hurricane. The bark is coming off about 1/3 of the rounds when I split them. Is that bark any good for smokers? Should I just leave it out there? Not sure of the species, but here is pic of the rounds:

Attachments

• hickory2 (2).jpg
    hickory2 (2).jpg
    122 KB · Views: 447
  • hickory1.jpg
    hickory1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 478
I think they use it for smoking BBQ. It is tough stuff, you could use it to mulch a path or something like that...

Yep, to Scotty's post. Also be aware that hickory bark burns very well in the stove and can be used to really pack the box if you need the heat.

BBQ RIBS...........MMMMMMMMMMMM

I agree on the kindling, I have a good bit from some splits a few months ago and plan on using it to get fires started. Since it is bark it will smoke a little more and perhaps leave more ash behind but it otherwise burns well. Good luck!

I've used the big sheets as a stacking cover as well.
Would work like shingles on a holzhauzen

For those who do not have a firepit or smoker, take some small pieces of hickory bark and wrap them in foil. Poke a couple small holes (with a fork or something), lay the foil pack on the burner in your grille. Gives some of that great smokey flavor.

Interesting....in the competitive bbq world, many people strip the bark off the wood, especially hickory......not saying it's right or wrong just saying it's fairly common. I don't have the energy so I cook on whatever stays on the split when I throw it in the firebox... :)

Mking I've heard this as well.
I know with pecan there can be some mold/fungus that causes strange flavors and therefore is used barkless.

As for the hickory I grab limbs out of the front yard and throw on my grill all the time - never had any complaints from those consuming the food

I personally do not use hickory bark in the smoker. A small piece sneaking in, or the thinner bark of branches would not be an issue in my opinion, but I find that the bark actually smokes more than the wood and if not adjusted for (timing, doses, etc) it can give a bitter flavor because of over smoking (as can ALL over smoked foods). It is just another variable in the world of smoked foods that I can avoid.

I'm with Jags. I grilled all year with hickory bark and if you get too much smoke the meat is almost too strong to eat. Little to no smoke and the meat is good.

I'm with Jags. I grilled all year with hickory bark and if you get too much smoke the meat is almost too strong to eat. Little to no smoke and the meat is good.
Try apple bark, or slivers of applewood. It is REALLY hard to over-smoke using applewood. You guys are right about the hickory, though. Mesquite is the same way, it can make the food bitter if you over-smoke with it.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Buddy once used some very dry black cherry to smoke some ribs . . . way, way too smoky . . . not sure if it was the dryness of the wood, amount of wood or that it was a black cherry. He now tends to stick with apple wood and sugar maple for much better results.

Reactions: ScotO
Buddy once used some very dry black cherry to smoke some ribs . . . way, way too smoky . . . not sure if it was the dryness of the wood, amount of wood or that it was a black cherry. He now tends to stick with apple wood and sugar maple for much better results.
I pretty much use applewood exclusively. Also add white oak, sugar maple and occasionally hickory to the mix. Another good one is grapevine.

It's BTUs.
Dried out it will produce heat. Mix it in with some wood for shoulder season fires. Neighbor hood will have a nice hickory smoke odor :)

My land is very wet. I peel off as much bark as possible and spread it all over.(except on the lawn). Gotta love hickory:cool:

Except for the tiniest pieces,its all saved with other scraps,milling/shop off cuts,corn cobs,twigs etc for kindling.

Have used a few pieces on the weber kettle & water smoker,pretty good there just dont use too much at once it can be overpowering.

Getting back into the woods now that the temps are down. I have a bunch of big Hickory rounds to finish splitting that fell last year in the Hurricane. The bark is coming off about 1/3 of the rounds when I split them. Is that bark any good for smokers? Should I just leave it out there? Not sure of the species, but here is pic of the rounds:

The smoking aside, those are some extremely nice hickory logs! It might be interesting to weigh that one that has the saw on it.

BW- I am going to guess the one under the saw weighs about 3300 lbs!! I am thinking that is your point. That pic is during the bucking phase, thus the reason it is elevated. Once in a while I can cast an elevation spell while bucking, but only on Ash.

edited for spelling. gotta keep them dang glasses handy!

When I get done splitting, I go around and collect all the bark that has fallen of the rounds. I start with the biggest and put a slightly smaller bark round inside it, then a slightly smaller inside that etc etc, until it is pretty much a log in itself. I then tie it with a piece of twine and stack them up. When I need kindling I take in a bark log and take it apart, or just through the whole thing in the firebox for a really fast, hot fire. It is some extra work, but its very convenient and a bark log made up of oak bark burns really hot. Plus, it keeps the wood cutting area cleaned up nice. Of course, you can use the hickory bark for cooking, but I burn all my bark for btus.

I pretty much use applewood exclusively. Also add white oak, sugar maple and occasionally hickory to the mix. Another good one is grapevine.
You want grapevine, feel free to visit my lot. Have one near the gate that is a monster..about 6 inch diameter I'd guess. Will get a photo and measure some day. Never thought of burning the darn thing....

All the bark has come off the maples I cut in late winter (came off prior to or as splitting). I figured that my stacks have more BTUs since the same size and no bark, hence more weight per stack. Anyone know how Bark weight compares to wood...I'd guess very much lighter for maple....Ironwood the bark is so thin I'm sure it makes no difference. Beech has no bark...but with the maple I'm guessing it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.