Any idea what wood species this is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stma

Dec 30, 2011
Poconos
Hi Folks: My guy here in the Poconos retired from the wood splitting/delivery biz. I was always accustomed to red and white Oak, but my new supplier sent a ton (not literally) of the wood shown here. When split, it has no true aroma or odor to it and even with large chunks, the white is super light-weight. Any idea what I have here ??

unnamed.png

Looks like poplar unfortunately. If he is he should not be your wood supplier.

Thanks GZ.... That's what I thought as well, but the bark was throwing me off a bit thinking it could perhaps be the more anticipated, Ash wood....
Live and Learn I guess....
Thanks again....

It's possible that it's ash. With all the EAB issues in our area, they're pre-emptively cutting down tons of ash trees, making it very abundant right now.

It is ash. That bark is a dead giveaway. [little wood joke, since all ash is dead due to EAB]
Good firewood.

Good firewood but far lower BTU than oak or red oak.

Hard to say from one photo. I'm guessing white ash, basswood, or tulip poplar.

Sure looks like ash to me.

I agree with the ash... good BTU's but certainly not oak. It's my main everyday hardwood. Seasons quickly, coals well. Gets punky and light if it wasn't processed quick enough.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Post a pic of the end of the split so we can see the green hue. Poplar bark sometime does resemble ash.

Whats wrong with popular wood--Is it not good to burn?..I do not know what that wood is but it sure is clean looking..clancey

Whats wrong with popular wood--Is it not good to burn?..I do not know what that wood is but it sure is clean looking..clancey
It’s light. 16 million btus.

White ash - looks like the tree was sick or dead judging by the blonding on the bark.

Reactions: NickW
It is definitely Yellow Poplar also called Tulip Poplar. I use it a lot in the Fall and Spring when I want a quick fire to take the chill off, saving my red oak and hickory for the colder months in the winter. It lights very easily but burns up fast.

poplar bark smells great but i did have a lot of smoke running it. yes mine burnt fast

I've had a few times when basswood tricked me into thinking it was ash when I went by just the bark . . . in the Spring and Summer when the leaves are out there is no mistaking the two however. Based on the bark, white inner wood and description of it being light weight I would tend to think basswood. Not very good for burning . . . but apparently great for wood carving. Makes good kindling.

I've had a few times when basswood tricked me into thinking it was ash when I went by just the bark . . . in the Spring and Summer when the leaves are out there is no mistaking the two however. Based on the bark, white inner wood and description of it being light weight I would tend to think basswood. Not very good for burning . . . but apparently great for wood carving. Makes good kindling.
I've had a similar experience with box elder...

+1 for tulip-polar (Liriodendron tulipifera)
'ash-like' bark, but not opposite branching habit
Wood is light weight, with green, mauve, grey hues.
Drys fast, splits easy - but wonkish. Not my favorite firewood. Definitely wouldn't want to pay premium price, and I'd pass on free wood unless you have the storage space. Good shoulder-season wood.