Any Musicians?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Peart is good. Mostly when I need inspiration I dig up a video of the guy that started making it all happen for drums. Moonie.

A person could cripple themselves trying to cover Won't Get Fooled Again.

Reactions: Ashful
Acoustic guitar. I like old timey stuff. Also Johnny Cash, Dan Tyminski and Gordon Lightfoot. Time is not on my side to get in a lot of practice.

Reactions: DevilsBrew
some claw hammer banjo!

That is what I'm trying to do. I quickly realized that around these parts I need about 20 years under my belt to be considered good.

That is what I'm trying to do. I quickly realized that around these parts I need about 20 years under my belt to be considered good.

You only need to please yourself. The Banjo is a very subjective instrument with as many ways to play it as players. Claw hammer's fun but I like a little soft up picking with ballads and airs.

Wow, look at all the musicians here! I come from a family chock full of musicians and learned to read music before I knew my ABC's. I begged my dad to let me start flute lesson in 4th grade after seeing Ian Anderson on TV. I played up through 11th grade in HS but found other things that I won't mention were more fun ;)

Being a lefty, in a family of righties, I never learned to play guitar like the rest if my family but when my hubby and I first started dating, he bought me a left handed acoustic so I can noodle but I know that doesn't take a lot of skill.

My brother is quite the player, while he makes fun of my hippie acoustic guitar, he learned real quick in college when he made his Fender Strat the focal point of his room, that girls woould be plentiful.

I have harmonicas I'd love to learn to play but having two different notes on in/out breath screws with my head.

For the record, Neil Peart is the drum god, just a blur of motion, there is no other, Joful's probably close though, nice kit :)

What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians? A drummer. ;lol

absolutely No (read that zero) musical talent here......jealous of those who have it....my talents lie in more prosaic pastimes >>

I'm starting later in life. I heard a friend play a roll on his banjo and I was instantly hooked. I never thought I would pick up an instrument before that. You might want to give it a try.

An item high on my bucket list is learning to play the bagpipes. Something I wanted to do as a kid, then forgot for many years. Wife says, "no way!"

An item high on my bucket list is learning to play the bagpipes. Something I wanted to do as a kid, then forgot for many years. "

!!!!!!!!!

I think the hardest thing about bagpipes would be getting out of the habit of taking breaths at rests and between measures. Other than that, the only difference between a bagpipe and a trampoline...

Reactions: BrotherBart
Uilleann pipes are the answer! They have a soft muted tone and the bag is filled with a bellows rather than by mouth.

Uilleann pipes are the answer! They have a soft muted tone and the bag is filled with a bellows rather than by mouth.

Perhaps, but I have a fondness for the highland pipes. Nothing quiet, there.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I'm starting later in life. I heard a friend play a roll on his banjo and I was instantly hooked. I never thought I would pick up an instrument before that. You might want to give it a try.

I am thinking of leaning another language instead.....nothing better than understanding what folks are talking about when they think no one else understands!

An item high on my bucket list is learning to play the bagpipes. Something I wanted to do as a kid, then forgot for many years. Wife says, "no way!"

my brother plays the highland pipes...started as a hobby, now plays in a pipe band.....expensive hobby when you end up buying the regalia that goes with......kilt, sporrin, pipes, etc.... he lives next door to me though, and let me tell you, living next door to someone who is learning the pipes IS NOT a good thing......think car horn going off....constantly.....after a long day of work, you wanna relax, maybe on the back deck....ya sit down....ahhhh.....and then you are assaulted with the blare of a car horn.....for an hour or so.....should be laws against folks doing that

One would start with a practice chanter.. not nearly as loud as the pipes, but still a bit loud.

Btw, highland pipers are always marching.. to get away from the sound.

I do hear that the banjo is one of the most difficult string instruments to master.......good luck with it!

I do hear that the banjo is one of the most difficult string instruments to master.......good luck with it!

Thanks! Yeah, that is why I said I needed about 20 years. There is a good sized underground folk/bluegrass music scene here in NWPA and WNY. (Also some drum and pipe corps in the Erie/Edinboro area) The great banjo players that I have run across at the music festivals have been playing for about that long.

I'm having a good time with it and I am lucky to have some great influences in my area. They inspire me to keep practicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.