Any Musicians?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsBrew

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
I can't sleep so I am up late practicing. Just wondering.

What is a wanna-be, about a hundredth of a musician? ;lol:(

I've previously searched for "guitar" in thread titles, and came up with a big, fat zeero....

I guess I should have said wannabes or people who play a musical instrument. Oh well.

I fall in the wannabe category. I have been playing a banjo for about a year now.

I plays some instruments. Mostly the guitars and bass (I always pronounce like the fish...is more fun that way). harmonica, ukulele, mandolin on occasion. lousy on the drums and piano. i play with group of guys for the last 10 yrs or so ( i do get to be the lead singer). we liken ourselves to Vanilla Fudge, but we play 80's tunes in a very not 80's was...jazzy,funky...just plain weird. I wouldn't say I'm that good. I am the least talented of the group, but I have fun doing it. I am definitely the most "rock star" of the group. Banjo is awesome! The lead guitar player I play with is pretty mean on the banjo, and also has a banjitar (6 string banjo played, and tuned like guitar). Guy can play anything..anything. Scary. If you're in the area you are welcome to sit in. We're hilarious.

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Our high school band was one of the best, despite being a D (roughly 30-35 people in the band). I played trumpet early on but then changed to baritone horn. In the 3 years i don't think i got anything but straight ones both in concert competitions and solo/ensemble. That was 13 years ago buy i could still pick one up and do alright. Now i have a cheap bass i picked up in high school (samick with a strat body) that i diddle with and a epiphone sg body 6 string i also picked up for cheap (musicians friend is indeed a friend) that i diddle with a little more often. I also have a mouth harp that's more for novelty than anything and some harmonicas i like to pretend i can play.

Been playing drums about 32 years, now. Was once my primary aim and goal in life... now just something I get to do occasionally. :(

Got a couple of Epiphones & an Ovation that I look at once in awhile. Learned to play "under the influence" & found that sobriety either stole what gift I had or made me realize that I never had it to begin with...

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
Been playing drums about 32 years, now. Was once my primary aim and goal in life... now just something I get to do occasionally. :(

Ditto. Well, except it has been 50 years.

I used to play folk and blues in coffee houses back in the late 60's/70's, mostly guitar, some claw hammer banjo. I ran across some Quebecois fiddlers in the Northeast Kingdom and was flabergasted. Been a fiddler for square and contra dances ever since I could scrape some tunes together ( 40 yrs. or so). I also play weddings and house parties and have been trying out some jazz/swing (ear musician only) to play cabaret type gigs mostly for a free dinner here and there.

He may not fess up, but Homebrews is a neighbor of mine and also an excellant fiddler!

Thanks, E! Ehouse is an excellent fiddler as well. Started with guitar, but dropped that for the fiddle. Mostly play celtic styles now for dances and the
occasional concert.

I used to play folk and blues in coffee houses back in the late 60's/70's, mostly guitar, some claw hammer banjo. I ran across some Quebecois fiddlers in the Northeast Kingdom and was flabergasted. Been a fiddler for square and contra dances ever since I could scrape some tunes together ( 40 yrs. or so). I also play weddings and house parties and have been trying out some jazz/swing (ear musician only) to play cabaret type gigs mostly for a free dinner here and there.

He may not fess up, but Homebrews is a neighbor of mine and also an excellant fiddler!

fiddle is cool. i like some fusion stuff with violin (Shakti) and really like Stephane Grippelli's work with Django Reinhardt.

Played Sousaphone in Jr. High. Later taught myself some guitar & banjo. Few years ago I put together a Theremin kit...that was a kick. Now I don't even play the Lotto.

I knew there was something I liked about you, Bart. Just couldn't put my finger on it until now.;)

Sold my Gretsch studio kit a few years ago. Wanted to donate the Blackhawk practice kit to some up and coming high school drummer last year. Band director couldn't find any parents that would go for it. :rolleyes: May just put it back together.

Guitar player here. Don't practice enough any more, but am starting a bit more playing with my kids. I love celtic music and have been thinking of getting a bouzouki.

Sold my Gretsch studio kit a few years ago. Wanted to donate the Blackhawk practice kit to some up and coming high school drummer last year. Band director couldn't find any parents that would go for it. :rolleyes: May just put it back together.

Heh... my son got his first kit before he could walk!

P3080001.jpg P3080008.jpg P3090002.JPG

Don't take but four or five drums to get'er done. ;lol

I hung it up after seeing Mel Taylor and Max Weinberg in these videos.

Mel died of cancer in 1996.

Reactions: Ashful
Holy cow, max Weinberg still looks almost exactly the same.

Never have considered drums to be a solo instrument. Kinda like recording a train wreck. ;lol Only solo I ever cared for was the one in Ina Gadda Da Vida. Guy had a rhythm pattern all the way through.

fiddle is cool. i like some fusion stuff with violin (Shakti) and really like Stephane Grippelli's work with Django Reinhardt.

That duo's da bomb! Catch another fav. of mine, google Claude Williams for a nice short vid of "Don't Get Around Much Anymore".

Reactions: Delta-T
Guitar player here. Played in a Southern Rock / Country Band back in my high school days. We were not that good but had alot of fun. Some friends parties and played a Camp Ground 4th of July a couple times.

Then was mostly camping, campfire music.

Been out of it for the last 10 years getting my kids raised, no time.

Recently have had more time and started playing again. I used to have a Sunburst Fender Mustang Electric that I wish I still had. Right now I have a Gibson Epiphone Acoustic and recently bought a Martin DX1AE Acoustic thats economical but sounds like the high dollar Martins.

Ordered me a Blue Yeti microphone the other day for some recording.

Never have considered drums to be a solo instrument. Kinda like recording a train wreck. ;lol Only solo I ever cared for was the one in Ina Gadda Da Vida. Guy had a rhythm pattern all the way through.

I agree, the exception being Peart. His solo's are music. On the latest tour, he substituted his usual 8 minute solo for three shorter ones, two of them being full compositions orchestrated from the drum kit.

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
Status
Not open for further replies.