Any one else wake up to -20 this morning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
Well here it is the cold snap we have not had in a while. Temps in Wisconsin are crazy cold, they are talking about the coldest spell in 20 years. Stay warm everyone! Its taking all 6.5 cu ft of combined firebox at my place to maintain a comfortable house. Whats the coldest you seen in 2019?

-20 is really cold. We are going to be around 0 on Tuesday morning. That will be the coldest of the season so far.

Coldest had been very low single digits here in eastern MA between Boston and Worcester.

Any house noises from thermal contraction? We had temperatures approaching -20F around Valentine's Day 2015, and I was up all night with the house making noise. I even went up in the attic with a flashlight.

Just about get to sleep. BOOM! Just about get to sleep. BOOM!

Neighbor across the street said she thought someone was trying to break into her house at first.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/homeowners-hearing-strange-sounds-during-frigid-cold-weather/8217730

Coldest had been very low single digits here in eastern MA between Boston and Worcester.

Any house noises from thermal contraction? We had temperatures approaching -20F around Valentine's Day 2015, and I was up all night with the house making noise. I even went up in the attic with a flashlight.

Just about get to sleep. BOOM! Just about get to sleep. BOOM!

Neighbor across the street said she thought someone was trying to break into her house at first.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/homeowners-hearing-strange-sounds-during-frigid-cold-weather/8217730

Haven't had too many unusual house noises but my outside air kit pipe in the basement for the 30NC looks like a frozen snow cone!

If we get -10 or colder right after a thaw like we just had we get frost quakes that will shake
like a small earthquake with a loud crack or boom.

sometimes it happens without a thaw also.

We have a few extreme cold nights coming this next week of like -15 or so and I imagine i'll hear the house making noises. Last winter one night got down to -30F and I definately heard the house talking to me. Creaks, groans, pops. The pops are what's scary lol. Especially when heating with a wood furnace in the basement and then hear " pop". it kinda wakes you up in a hurry!

-22 this morning here in southern WI. A friend in northern WI near the MI border was at -31 brrrrrrrr

At 10:00 it's up to a balmy -9 and we've got some sun coming in the house which is helping.