Any one using a pellet basket in their wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Two Flints

Oct 31, 2008
Northern Maine
Hello,

I have an old Whitfield pellet stove that I have been using since 1992 - works great, very happy with it. However, I am getting a wood stove for my greenhouse and would like to use pellets in it and was wondering if anyone on this forum has ever used a pellet basket? Your thoughts if you have used one . . . make, pros and cons, if you have the time to comment.

Thanks,

Fred

Last edited:
Personally, I have not used one, but I would go easy with putting a bunch of pellet in a woodstove. Not made for that purpose.

Better off buying the BIG pellets, made for wood stoves = 100% wood product compressed bricks or logs

Why not just get a pellet stove for the gh?
Way less moving parts for one. A greenhouse often can be a high humidity environment with extremes in temperature. This can rust part and stress electronics. A stove with a pellet basket is simple, not much to go wrong. With the exception of a gravity fed unit. a pellet stove is anything but simple.

Last edited:
Amen to that. From my experience it's just a matter of time before you have to replace the motor in the dead of winter on a pellet stove. Lots of problems can arise, fans, vaccum seals, auger jams, electronic problems. Way too many moving parts. I have a pelpro pellet stove great for occasional use but not for full-time heating.

Tried it once in my vista since I have a pellet stove upstairs and lots of pellets in the basement usually, needless to say once was enough.

Did you try it with a pellet basket? That allows air to get under the pellets.

Way less moving parts for one. A greenhouse often can be a high humidity environment with extremes in temperature. This can rust part and stress electronics. A stove with a pellet basket is simple, not much to go wrong. With the exception of a gravity fed unit. a pellet stove is anything but simple.

But wouldn't you need to constantly keep feeding it manually with pellets? I'm not sure how frequently, but it must be quite a few door openings & closings in the run of a day?

But wouldn't you need to constantly keep feeding it manually with pellets? I'm not sure how frequently, but it must be quite a few door openings & closings in the run of a day?
Depends on how large the pellet load is but 3 hrs. is reported typical with a full 14# load. Whether that is sufficient for the greenhouse needs I can't say. In our area it would be fine, but probably not in New England. Greenhouses don't hold heat very well.

I installed a Drolet wood furnace in a greenhouse next door and ran 2 sections of pipe up, across the top then down. Works pretty well, at least 10 times better than the woodstove that it replaced. This is a 2 membrane "air inflated separated greenhouse," which at this point barely works. (The membranes aren't separated all the way through and holes are present.) Anyway, It is my belief that (I'm a dumb flatlander so I could be completely wrong) that if a large hydronic radiant system, raised up off the floor to heat the compost in a tray, germination and early plants would do much better than trying to heat the air.

Yes, so imagine the furnace at the far end of the greenhouse in the corner. The heat duct pipe (not the flue pipe), 2 runs go up, across the upper greenhouse struts, then come back down to the ground (3 feet above ground) in 2 locations. So, the woodstove furnace itself produces heat, 20 feet into the greenhouse a pipe comes down and warms underneath the raised flats, and 15 feet further beyond that another pipe comes down. An interesting thing is that even when the blower is not actuated by the thermostat, heat still comes out of the duct.