Any Suggestions for an Easy Pour 1 Gallon Tank (or attachment)?

velvetfoot Posted By velvetfoot, Jul 29, 2018 at 1:26 PM

1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I've seen nothing in the stores. Gov't regs made them all impossible to use with a chainsaw.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    velvetfoot and thewoodlands like this.
  3. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    image.jpg

This is what I use. Available in 1gal also.

4. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I agree by far the easiest to use can way better for small stuff than any pre epa stuff. They are called no spill for the op.

JimBear likes this.
  5. kevin j

kevin j
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 21, 2008
    Loc:
    minnesota us
    The No Spill cans are expensive but they do work really well for fuel

for bar oil I use a 1 gallon fabric softener jug (The kind with the screw cap not the pushbuttons spout ones. they don’t flow at all). because it has a spout inside the cap and it also has a drain port that would drain back inside to the jug.

TreePointer and Lone_Gun like this.
  6. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I tried that one in the hardware store. It was indeed the easiest of the bunch.
    What's weird, to me, was that it was 1.25 gallons, to make it harder to dump in a little bottle of oil and then fill it with gas. The particular one I was looking at in the hardware store had a clear section on it where you can tell how much fluid is in it. The cheaper version of the same unit at home depot did not have this feature.

7. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I like the 1.25 gal because i can refill it before it is absolutly empty. I just go to the gas station dump in the oil and pump in a gal. Well i use the 2.5 gal so i use 2 bottles and pump 2 gals but the 1.25 would work the same. My 5 gal ones dont have the window but the smaller ones do.

8. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    I mix 5 gal at a time and transfer to the other cans.

9. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I am not far from a gas station so i just do 2 gals at a time

10. VirginiaIron

VirginiaIron
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Central Virginia
    I updated my old cans to the new EPA units because I could smell gas fumes. The seals on the spouts work well to prevent evaporation and water absorption but some of them leak when used or take so long to use that fume accumulation could be hazardous to both the operator and the environment. The red nozzle is an outdated design and slower but does not leak. The newer faster nozzle leaks and would appear that an external fill-tube, rather than internal, would funnel the gas into the tank (the design is the complete opposite). Anyway, the new EPA units do not emit gas fumes anymore.

11. xman23

xman23
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    A few weeks ago my grandson put a small amount of gas into a small plastic water bottle. He had it in his saw case. The gas ate hole through the bottle. I have always mixed my 2 cycle in one gallon containers. I use old oil containers.

12. lotawood

lotawood
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2011
    Loc:
    montana
    I also reuse oil containers for mix. Those containers are made of the same plastic as red gas cans.

I re purpose laundry jugs for bar oil.

Works for me. I don't have to be inspected.

13. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I dont see why anyone would choose an old oil jug over a no spill. Regardless of what you think of the regs the no spill cans are just better than anything else i have seen or used for filling small tanks like saws trimmers splitters etc.

Ashful and VirginiaIron like this.
  14. Montanalocal

Montanalocal
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 22, 2014
    Loc:
    Helena MT
    StihlKicking likes this.
  15. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
  16. vtwoodheater

vtwoodheater
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2015
    Loc:
    central VT
    I mix saw gas 5 gallons at a time in a plastic can that is probably 21 years old. Works for me. I do spill some when I overshoot, but keeps the saw handle nice and clean.

Jazzberry likes this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    We had a little seminar put on by Stihl at work last week. They had pics of the microscopic junk that they screened out of the fuel in some newer "problem saws" (M-tronics) it was full of lil slimy particles...they said it was polymer that had dissolved into the fuel from guys using "drink bottles" as gas cans. Caused 'em all kinds of grief until they figured it out!

Ashful, VirginiaIron and JimBear like this.
  18. Tar12

Tar12
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2016
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Lone_Gun likes this.
  19. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    That kinda sounds like the problems algae has gave us in diesel that sets around. No fun.

kevin j likes this.
  20. TreePointer

TreePointer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 22, 2010
    Loc:
    PA
    I'm a big fan of the No-Spill cans for small amounts (2.5 and 1.25 gal containers). The ones with View Stripes are great. Draw a black Sharpie line at the gallon tick mark to make it easy to see.

Their 5 gallon cans are nice but the No-Spill valve makes for slow flow rates when filling larger equipment like a ZTR mower. I use faster cans for that.

21. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Right there with you, buddy. I have the following mix of cans:

5 gal No-Spill gas (red)
    5 gal No-Spill diesel (yellow)
    5 gal Eagle plastic (red)
    5 gal Chilton (like Montanalocal’s can above)
    1 gal No-Spill gas mix (red)
    1 gal Chilton P20 (Montanalocal)

The No-Spill cans are the best design, hands down, but I like them less for the zero turn than I do for filling saws, trimmers, and walk-behind equipment (mowers, snowblowers, leaf blowers, etc.). In fact, my favorite thing for the zero turn is to take the Eagle can and just remove that stupid flexible whip spout, and pour right from the can mouth. 5 gallons in 30 seconds, or something like that, if you can avoid spilling it on the ground.

Things I like about the No-Spill:

1. They never make a mess in my truck bed, should one tip over on the way home from the gas station.
    2. They never make my shed stink of gas fumes.
    3. The auto-stop feature prevents ever over-filling small tanks (i.e. chain saws and walk-behinds).
    4. It’s just a good quality product. Heavy plastic, well-designed spout, o-ring seal on the filler neck.

One note about the No-Spill cans is that they work great with my Stihl equipment, but the filler neck on my Husqvarna top handle saw is too small to fit it. This defeats the auto-stop feature on the No-Spill, and gives me just one more reason (of many) to prefer Stihl over Husqvarna.

I guess I also have a pair of those crappy Blitz brand EPA cans, but I threw away the spouts on both (they also came with a plain screw-on jug cap), and I use them exclusively for recycling old motor oil.

Lone_Gun, bholler and TreePointer like this.
  22. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Went to mix up some two stroke fuel this morning and found the No-Spill container collapsed! Called company: not warranted. I had bought two, figuring it'd be a smart thing to do, duh, and this one had a small amount of fuel in it. The one I had been using was okay.
    Morale of story for me: only use one of them, and all the new cans suck.
    20181108_104815_resized.jpg

23. DodgyNomad

DodgyNomad
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    I have one of those, exactly like that.

It's weird, over the past 15 years, for no reason in particular, I kept and collected every 1-6 gallon old school plastic gas can I could from garage sales, etc.. I also had a couple of the good quality eagle brand metal safety gas cans.

I now have 60 gallons worth of small gas cans that I use when I fill up with ethanol free fuel, and as backups, etc.. Best part is most of them only cost me a couple of bucks at garage sales before they EPA locked them up.

24. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Wow, mine are pretty thick, compared to anything else on the market today. How do you think it happened?

Mine pull in a little on the side walls, when I use them on a hot day, and then the shed turns cold. But never anything anywhere near that.

25. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    New fuel pour spouts are pure bull leavings , a royal pain in the back side. Ridiculous prices for blow molded chicom plastic. every one i have had has always leaked where you screw the spout on. And I just love it when they swell up and roll over and of course leak at the spout container junction. ( it doesn't take a lot of temp change to accomplish this either)sooner or later someone is going to go out flip a light switch on and have the whole place go boom. Likely has already happened.

Yes I have had some cheap ones collapse due to temp drop vs fill time also.