Any thoughts on the EKO coal boiler....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, call me the moldy oldy guy. I keep going in big Google trips in my research, and end up in strange places.

This one has me a bit puzzled. This Eko coal boiler is the same unit (as near as I can tell) as the Biasi 3Wood wood boiler. From all I've read, the 3Wood is about the best you could expect from a non-gassing wood burner. But the Eko coal lit. does not mention even the possibility of burning wood, and this thread strongly advises against it. The 3Wood is pretty dear up here ($6k for the 3Wood7, for craps sake), and they're selling some. So I would appreciate more input (after 3 1/2 years) - would it be a real bad thing to get one of these & burn wood in it?

OK, call me the moldy oldy guy. I keep going in big Google trips in my research, and end up in strange places.

This one has me a bit puzzled. This Eko coal boiler is the same unit (as near as I can tell) as the Biasi 3Wood wood boiler. From all I've read, the 3Wood is about the best you could expect from a non-gassing wood burner. But the Eko coal lit. does not mention even the possibility of burning wood, and this thread strongly advises against it. The 3Wood is pretty dear up here ($6k for the 3Wood7, for craps sake), and they're selling some. So I would appreciate more input (after 3 1/2 years) - would it be a real bad thing to get one of these & burn wood in it?
I've seen guys burning wood in the 3Wood, obviously besides the creosote problem from these kind of boilers, the firebox is VERY small, so I don't thnk you'd get much burn time with wood...

Here's a thread on the 3Wood from the nepa coal forum... ton of info...
http://nepacrossroads.com/about8723.html

Couple things I now assume when talking about any boiler, gasser or not - run it with return temp protection & storage. Maybe adding those to the 3Wood/Eko coal would greatly improve their performance? Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I live in an old coal mining area - but am not aware of anyone burning or selling it any more. Maybe I should start asking around...

My father-in-law burns wood and coal in his. 3 wood 6. He gets longer burn time with wood than coal. He paid 5000$ for the unit, you can get them online right now with shipping for 3700$. He's looking to convert with with a Pellx burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.