Anyone burn Boxelder?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I scrounged a cord of Boxelder for free the other day. At first I thought it was ash when I looked at the bark, but then I saw some leaves and found out it wasn't. I never burned the stuff before, and I know it's kind of a low btu hardwood. But I figure it should be good for spring and fall. Anyone burn the stuff?

I havent burned Boxelder before ..........
I thought i read somewhere that Boxelder stinks bad when burned.

box elder :
Weight per cord: 2797
BTUs per cord: 17.9
(millions)

pine :
Weight per cord: 2669
BTUs per cord: 17.1
(millions)

hackberry
Weight per cord: 3247
BTUs per cord: 20.8
(millions)

hickory
Weight per cord: 4327
BTUs per cord: 27.7
(millions)

Hopefully my cat will take the stink out? ;-P

Todd said:
Hopefully my cat will take the stink out? ;-P

:lol: There ya go. I'm sure as most bad reps have come to be from buring wood in a fire place and or a non air tight wood stove.
If yaz gots some hard wood then mix-er up in there Todd , tant be nutton wrong wif dat.

I picked up a cord of box elder last January, it doesn't seem to smell much, but does burn quick. It also doesn't seem to have a nice bed of coals left over for a good restart if you leave...........good fall/spring weekend burning when you're there to keep loadin it in.

I'm the guy who complained about boxelder stinking. It's like a sharp odor. Not something I would like to use for a campfire, but in a stove or insert, it's ok. Just don't go outside. I did notice that it did not smell so bad after the splits were allowed to sit for a couple weeks. Fresh splits (wood was cut one year ago), would smell more.

Spitting it is not too bad. It does take effort, but not real bad. It does have a nice looking grain to it. I mix it in with other woods and the smell is even less. If it's free, go for it. However, I got offered more and I passed. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.