Anyone buy some wood lately?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fyrwoodguy said:
J-Man said:
FWG - why you gotta be showin' me up like that! What are you getting for a cord these days?

all depends on where it's goin' ;-)
my favorite spot to deliver is peak's island,me. :-/

I hear ya.

LLigetfa said:
Inferno said:
Supply of logs for delivery up here is in limbo. Local OSB mill scaled back production.
You'd think the opposite would be the case. Supplying the mills here is the "low hanging fruit" where they make the most money so firewood takes a back seat when they're busy. You'd think they'd have more time for firewood if the mill is cutting back?

Granted, sometimes, the stuff they sell as firewood is just the rejects they come across when cutting for the mills, particularly in the case of Birch. You probably wouldn't want to pay the same price for Birch the OSB plant pays. Here the OSB plant doesn't take Black Ash so the only hindrance to getting it is how busy the cutters and haulers are.

What you say all makes sense and wish it worked like that around here.
I think the problem is the outfits that cut for the mill nowadays are all large, they don't seem to mess around with firewood unless you
know someone or are right on their way.
Not like years back there were a lot of smaller operators and picker trucks, firewood logs came easy.
As far as price I'd love to pay the price the mill gets. Large volume user plus monopoly squeeze I'd say.
This is another subject but you can't believe what the mill pays the province for stumpage and what a private resident has to pay!
Right now with the economy and all, they are trying to get the province to drop stumpage fees altogether as well as get the loggers to take a cut.
On the farm we have poplar and spruce to no end with birch mixed throughout. With the mill going it never made any sense to start logging
our own land for firewood when they were hauling birch off crown land for $100/cord delivered right to the stove. Like I said before, the convenient, abundant, $100/cord birch might be a thing of the past.

got a cord of greenish red oak for 100$ also getting 1 and 3/4 cord fair(but kinda wet) mixed hardwood(mostly cherry and oak) delivered for 100$
all cut and split to length ,th is the time of year when you gotta watch as people pass off greenwood as seasoned ot make some cash to pay their taxes and christmas bills ,not to mention every guy with a poulon is out cutting his backyard up becuase hes laid off and is strapped nowadays

Spent some time this weekend splitting up last weekends purchase. I think there's maybe a cord cut and split. Nice stuff for next year.

Attachments

• Split.JPG
    Split.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 233
Small potatoes compared to you folks, but yesterday I bought $40 worth of mixed wood from the local equipment rental yard. It was about 2/3 of my Ferd Ranger's bed. Prolly enough to see us through the few weeks of cold(ish) weather we have left, with the little bit of seasoned pine and mullberry I have left. Most of the wood bought yesterday was at least half-seasoned, but better than some I've seen. There were a couple of pieces, 'tho, that I threw into the stack of next year's wood 'cuz they were as green as it gets.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.