Anyone else bite the bullet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
Although I clean my stove during the heating season I really like the idea of having it professionally cleaned once a year including the vent. Called an end to the season and had it cleaned yesterday even though it is supposed to get cold again starting tomorrow. Couldn't pass up the cleaning special. Regularly $275 but $199 for one week only. Gets all nice and clean and the techs even spray the inside with flat black paint if you tell them you won't be using it any more. Now it looks as good as new. Hope I made the right decision.

I can't see how paying someone to clean my stove can do better then I can myself, especially using the leaf blower trick. Had my stove all set for summer storage but starting using it this morning as we are having blizzard conditions and very cold. Yes I know it is the 14th of April. :(

I can't see how paying someone to clean my stove can do better then I can myself, especially using the leaf blower trick. Had my stove all set for summer storage but starting using it this morning as we are having blizzard conditions and very cold. Yes I know it is the 14th of April. :(
You can get it just as clean as we can. The problem is most homeowners won’t clean that thoroughly and don’t take things apart to clean. I cringe every time I hear “leaf blower trick” because I know you don’t get everything that way.

I love the leaf blower trick! Maybe it doesn't get everything, but it cleans enough for me to burn a ton of pellets before I have to do it again and it is quick and easy. I have been using the leaf blower trick to clean my stove for years without problems.

It works for years, then usually what happens is your combustion blower gets tired from all the carbon buildup that a leaf blower can’t get off the blades.

Reactions: stovelark
I clean my own stoves. Use a brush and shop vac. Have ever since I got em in 06. I'm a clean freak. That says it all. kap

Reactions: FirepotPete
do my own also..
can't think of any spots in the stove or exhaust a tech would get that i don't.
i finish the season off with couple boxes of damp rid in the stove and also spray the sides and the burnpot with Pam cooking spray..[not the butter flavored of course]:p:p

LOL I use cooking spray also

I think if you care enough to get on a forum for stove people, you’re probably cleaning your stove well enough. What you have to understand is that you guys are not the average user. I have plenty of customers whose Ash pans get emptied once a year when I’m there servicing the unit. Anyone can clean any stove any way if you actually get it clean.

I think if you care enough to get on a forum for stove people, you’re probably cleaning your stove well enough. What you have to understand is that you guys are not the average user. I have plenty of customers whose Ash pans get emptied once a year when I’m there servicing the unit. Anyone can clean any stove any way if you actually get it clean.
good point and true.
before i bought my P61A 5 yrs ago, someone turned me on to this forum [and another] and for a couple weeks every nite i must have read ever post pertaining to pellet stoves... hundreds and hundreds...everything from cleaning, replacing parts, problems, troubleshooting, pellet brands, you name it. still do.. so I am my own home tech...

Last edited:
good point and true.
before i bought my P61A 5 yrs ago, someone turned me on to this forum [and another] and for a couple weeks every nite i must have read ever post pertaining to pellet stoves... hundreds and hundreds...everything from cleaning, replacing parts, problems, troubleshooting, pellet brands, you name it. still do.. so I am my own home tech...
Keep in mind though that the majority of members are in your same shoes, so take what you hear on here with a grain of salt.

I too kinda cringe when I read about the leaf blower thing. I know it helps, but if one who has spent thousands on their appliance would set aside one day at the end of the season and clean their stove as I would, it would be a happy stove. Firstly it helps to know the appliance you are cleaning, its operating and cleanliness requirements. That's why a lot of people get upset to pay others to clean it, that person may/may not know their stove. I'm intimate with Quads, Enviro, Eco-choice, Country, Whitfield, England, Thelin and some others, but I'm not a Harman guy, so I clean little harmans. I take the innards, baffles and all motors off (not the auger, but I vacuum out the fines and if possible, put power to the auger and see its operation. I clean out the housings, seal any sawdust leaks, change out gaskets to perma-gaskets, tighten things up as possible. The vent pipe/liner/chimney gets vacuumed and swept completely, internal vent piping gets taken off and cleaned. I vacuum in the back of the stove, try and seal any exhaust flyash leaks I find, that helps keep the motors cleaner throughout the season. I touch up any rust I find, the outside body of the stove (unless its enameled, ha), the interior gets a coat (unless customer requests it not) and the venting gets touched up if applicable. I try and at least power on the stove for operation if possible. I do all of this and anyone can, it usually takes 2-3 hours if all goes smoothly. I read about these "techs" cleaning 5 or 6 stoves a day and just wonder what that consists of. Myself and the guy I clean stoves with have customers with older stoves from the 90's and they still are going. You don't have to be this thorough, but the effort does pay off. Sorry I rambled so long. Everyone stay warm, very wet here in NE today...

I too kinda cringe when I read about the leaf blower thing. I know it helps, but if one who has spent thousands on their appliance would set aside one day at the end of the season and clean their stove as I would, it would be a happy stove. Firstly it helps to know the appliance you are cleaning, its operating and cleanliness requirements. That's why a lot of people get upset to pay others to clean it, that person may/may not know their stove. I'm intimate with Quads, Enviro, Eco-choice, Country, Whitfield, England, Thelin and some others, but I'm not a Harman guy, so I clean little harmans. I take the innards, baffles and all motors off (not the auger, but I vacuum out the fines and if possible, put power to the auger and see its operation. I clean out the housings, seal any sawdust leaks, change out gaskets to perma-gaskets, tighten things up as possible. The vent pipe/liner/chimney gets vacuumed and swept completely, internal vent piping gets taken off and cleaned. I vacuum in the back of the stove, try and seal any exhaust flyash leaks I find, that helps keep the motors cleaner throughout the season. I touch up any rust I find, the outside body of the stove (unless its enameled, ha), the interior gets a coat (unless customer requests it not) and the venting gets touched up if applicable. I try and at least power on the stove for operation if possible. I do all of this and anyone can, it usually takes 2-3 hours if all goes smoothly. I read about these "techs" cleaning 5 or 6 stoves a day and just wonder what that consists of. Myself and the guy I clean stoves with have customers with older stoves from the 90's and they still are going. You don't have to be this thorough, but the effort does pay off. Sorry I rambled so long. Everyone stay warm, very wet here in NE today...
I cleaned three stoves every day this week, and almost every customer said it was like a new stove when I got done. 4 cleanings is rough unless there’s a good scheduler lining up your jobs close together. Now running warranty or repair calls I can knock out 4-6 depending on drive time and what needs fixed. Igniter swaps are 30 minute jobs even after a test fire.