Anyone Else Get a New Camera Lately?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

valuman

Burning Hunk
Mar 11, 2014
Vermont
I got a really sweet little camera that I can carry in my shirt pocket, which means I'm more likely to carry it and thus, use it. I've learned very little about taking good pics with it yet, but am looking forward to developing a level of competency that I once had with my old Pentax 35mm many years ago.

Here are a few of my early attempts. Please post your pictures too. :cool:

d1f4ef56-a680-49fa-bafc-508fdab5a476.jpg

fd1cfe69-f6ec-4778-842b-b46a812659c7.jpg

5988670d-03fb-4d6a-84f0-585c65aa35a4.jpg

183e5491-d162-4f24-af8d-d96b10a719ae.jpg

a86b180e-0873-4a53-a2ed-6dfcb7b2a197.jpg

91278336-5561-4814-85b3-bc218083cbf6.jpg

f71e62c5-82c7-41f3-8507-cb5028b9ad0f.jpg

a4c81943-a43b-4e49-9d97-2b104757d969.jpg

4ae7d512-21b7-4135-aaaa-a35e7c18e47f.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics, love Vermont! Is that the green mountain range?

Mine are #1 Ile's des coudres, Quebec. #2 Moose river, Maine #3 Favourite burgers, near Newport, Vermont.

red house 104.JPG DSC_0474.JPG nipsjrrjlb's.jpg

Thanks Mod:)

Last edited:
Reactions: valuman
Sweet shot of that grouse! I've had very little luck photographing live animals - but then again, I'm a plant geek, and plants definitely don't' run away while you're framing a shot!

I've found that the number of good/great photos I capture is proportionate to the amount of time I spend in the woods. Previously used a Canon Powershot until work gave me a Pentax - both are capable point & shoots with vibrant color.

One of my favorite wildflowers: Fringed gentian (Gentianopsis crinita)
image.jpg

Reactions: valuman
first 2 Intova hd at 40 foot deep. Next 2 Olympus point and shoot. This is the extent of my photographic ability.
PICT0068.JPG PICT0046.JPG DSCN0044.JPG p1010003.JPG

Nice pics, love Vermont! Is that the green mountain range?

Yes. The ski mountain I used as a subject to experiment with zoom range and quality is Stratton Mountain and it's about 28 miles away from the hilltop I was on when I took the pics.

I like your shot of the Creamie Stand. That's classic Vermont!

Sweet shot of that grouse! I've had very little luck photographing live animals - but then again, I'm a plant geek, and plants definitely don't' run away while you're framing a shot!

Thanks! I spend a lot of time pursuing those birds with dog and shotgun from September through the end of December each year. This one was looking into my living room, seemingly letting me know that the season is now closed. LOL

Nice pic of the Gentian! I too like plants and am looking forward to being in the woods with my new camera in May, when the forest wildflowers are at their zenith here.

first 2 Intova hd at 40 foot deep. Next 2 Olympus point and shoot. This is the extent of my photographic ability.

Love the one of the eel. Which species of Moray is that?

brown with white spots.....:rolleyes: that is a Caribbean lobster in the barrel coral.

Canon PowerShot Elph 110 . . . bought it for trips when I wanted to take a snap shot and didn't want to lug around the much bulkier SLR camera. Very happy with the pics.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 227.JPG
    227.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 138
  • 514.JPG
    514.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 257.JPG
    257.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 148
brown with white spots.....:rolleyes: that is a Caribbean lobster in the barrel coral.
Ah! I didn't see the spiny lobster until you called it out. I caught and ate many of those growing up in South Florida. Yum!

Canon PowerShot Elph 110 . . . bought it for trips when I wanted to take a snap shot and didn't want to lug around the much bulkier SLR camera. Very happy with the pics.
You've got a good eye, Jake. Great quality pics from your camera too!

On further inspection, my work camera is a Lumix (not Pentax) with 10x optical zoom. Here's a few more...

I guess I lied a little about photographing animals...box turtle & black rat snake (both rather slow-moving, and hence capable of being photographed by an equally slow-moving photographer)
5499_box_turtle_female_at_lupine_site_Montague_Plains.JPG
P1020386_black_rat_snake_reduced.jpg

A little White Mountain grandeur from a day hike this fall....
P1020751.JPG

A nice foggy hilltop, also from this past fall...
P1020824_foggy_Ox_Hill.JPG

And a botanical rarity from the wilds of coastal NC.
North_Carolina_ (31).JPG

Last edited:
I got my first DSLR for Christmas this year. Been reading a bunch learning how to control it and haven't taken a lot of pictures yet. I'll post some shortly.

On further inspection, my work camera is a Lumix (not Pentax) with 10x optical zoom. Here's a few more...

I guess I lied a little about photographing animals...box turtle & black rat snake (both rather slow-moving, and hence capable of being photographed by an equally slow-moving photographer)
View attachment 151218
View attachment 151220

A little White Mountain grandeur from a day hike this fall....
View attachment 151221

A nice foggy hilltop, also from this past fall...
View attachment 151222

And a botanical rarity from the wilds of coastal NC.
View attachment 151219

These are some really nicely composed and exposed shots. I like all of them but the rat snake and the fly traps are my favorites.

Just got a Canon Power Shot ELPH 135. It's a 16 Mega Pixel with 8X Optical zoom, $89 on Amazon, and it's smaller than a deck of cards! We'll see how it does taking photos in the very near future and will follow up with them.

Love the new camera (Cannon Power shot ELPH135).

Small, light, takes a lot of shots and video on a single charge (never used more than 1/2 the battery in a day while on vacation, and we took over 1000 shots in a week).

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/antigua-much-more-fun-than-burning-wood.140892/
Note: These aren't the best of the best shots and they've been re-sized, the camera takes a better shot than I do.

The "auto" setting for the F stop (light, action, etc...) really works well, and the camera responds instantly when the button is pressed for the picture. My old camera (also a Cannon, and only 4 years old) had just enough of a delay that I have a ton of great pictures of dolphins tails and splashes from my last trip to FL, the pictures of them leaping straight into the air our of the inter coastal water way never happened due to that annoying lag time.

I became so used to using my phone (Galaxy 4S) for photos I forgot how nice it is to have a real camera. And the camera is actually smaller than my phone, plus an optical zoom!

I also bought a water proof bag for it, although it didn't list my camera as one that it fit, it worked out very well (just don't hit the zoom while it's in the bag or bad things could happen) and for $15 I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get some underwater shots without spending a ton of money on a dedicated water proof camera.

Not a new camera, just the cell phone, but we have had some gorgeous sunrises lately. Click to enlarge.

IMAG1066web.jpg IMAG1068web.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.