Anyone else still burning for heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I burn pellets. Used to burn wood. I’m in northern Michigan. I had 29 this morning. Yes I’ve had frost every month of the year at some point, but this was actual ice.
I had 27, cold for this time of the Year. I take it you don’t mean the Upper Peninsula? There was ice on the dogs water bowls on the porch.

I had 27, cold for this time of the Year. I take it you don’t mean the Upper Peninsula? There was ice on the dogs water bowls on the porch.

Got down to 28° here. I was surprised to notice when I got up around 4am to take a leak it was already 28° out according my gauge.

1620510180609.png

Still burning Frost tonight -2::C
Maybe warming by Tuesday

Maybe it will be a cool summer in the Midwest and like JRHAWK9 said that would be fine by me. Johneh your dog looks like my Black Lab/Springer mix, Shiloh. She greyed in her face at a young age of 5 and she’s nearly 11 now.

81FDCBEE-982C-4D5E-BAE2-C755982AF2BC.jpeg

Only because we don't need to heat the house. :p If I need heat I will usually light a fire. There have been two times this spring where I was too lazy to and just ran the LP for 1 - 1.5 hours and then shut it off.

Wrong kind of furnace. I was talking about the standard, automatic, thermostatic furnace people and not the exceedingly rare wood furnace people like you. This time of year when it’s still quite cold they come up with all all kinds of excuses to not light a wood fire and and just burn electricity or fossil fuel instead.

We’re burning right now because it’s just 65 inside and raining out.

Reactions: Dix
I had my hot water heat on last night it got to 35-40 degrees with rain and cold...and lightening too...clancey

Maybe it will be a cool summer in the Midwest and like JRHAWK9 said that would be fine by me. Johneh your dog looks like my Black Lab/Springer mix, Shiloh. She greyed in her face at a young age of 5 and she’s nearly 11 now.

View attachment 278616
She was a German-shorthaired Pointer. In that picture, she was 16 years old and figured she was still a pup
She passed last October just short of 20 years I miss her terribly. Yes, they do have the same look.
I just rescued a 4-year-old Springer liver and white. Why anyone would mistreat such a loving beautiful dog is beyond me

Attachments

• Toby o4.jpg
    Toby o4.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 109
yea I just lost my doggy and Abby was her name--she was about 15 or 16 a mut...Now I do not want to leave a animal alone if I kick so I will not get another doggy and had them all my life but its time and its cheaper too without one....That Toby is "worthless" but they are so lovable especially when they move their tails..lol Nice picture...clancey

Reactions: vinny11950
She was a German-shorthaired Pointer. In that picture, she was 16 years old and figured she was still a pup
She passed last October just short of 20 years I miss her terribly. Yes, they do have the same look.
I just rescued a 4-year-old Springer liver and white. Why anyone would mistreat such a loving beautiful dog is beyond me
Sorry to hear about your loss, that’s a long time for a dog to live, she must have been well cared for. :)

I had a fire earlier this week with a few chunks being burned up to take off the chill . . . but it has been a few days now. I think we may have had our final fire.

I do not know and think you might have a few more rainy and damp days before summer kicks in and here in my state we will have rain in the afternoon all week except on Wed and the mornings are darn right chilly and one does not want to get out of bed..it"s definitely is not summer heat yet...clancey

I just had my daily morning fire as it was 40 out this morning when I got up but I’d think the fires should end soon.

It is still getting into the low 40's and high 30's at night here. I've been burning small fires in the cookstove at least once a day for the last month. Just past Friday we didn't need to burn any wood and I was able to wait until the evening to light a fire. I don't mind since it also preheats our DHW.

It was only 44 and windy today so the furnace has run some today but tonight there’s a freeze warning for the area with lows going down to 27 or so, pretty cold for it being near June now. I’ll have a fire in the stove in the morning after the house cools down overnight. During the winter I don’t try to keep a fire going all night I just have a fire before I go to bed then let her cool down to 58 and then I have a good fire in the morning to warm the place up again and that’s my plan for tonight too.

I lit the cookstove this morning, but later regretted it when the rain unexpectedly cleared up. We are near the end for sure.

I almost fired mine up last night. It was only 55f in the house. Temps in the 30s with wind chill below freezing. Lately it feels like summer is over and fall has arrived. If it’s anything like 2009 that could be the case.

Just fired up after not burning for 3 weeks but its cool and rainy plus wifey got 2nd shot yesterday and has been cold since last night. Kinda feels nice to feel the warmth and the smell again. Quite the change from midweek when I was close to installing the window a/c.

It's cooling down for the night, as is the house, so I lit a fire with some 4x4 cutoffs in the cookstove.

It will be in the 40's over the weekend, so I'll spark one or two in the stove. This will make the cat happy and I might make soup!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Feels like summer came and went. It’s been windy and 30s and 40s all week. I’m about ready to fire mine back up. It’s 32f outside and about 56 in the house.

The house is 65 and doesn't seem to be climbing with the sun, so a fire it is.

Feels like summer came and went. It’s been windy and 30s and 40s all week. I’m about ready to fire mine back up. It’s 32f outside and about 56 in the house.
Sun is coming. We'll be sending it your way. Locally we definitely won't be burning except on the BBQ.
Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 11.13.32 AM.png

Reactions: tlc1976