Anyone else still burning for heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes send it! It’s cloudy and just 54 today. I think I’ve had the last fire this morning since when I closed the door on the Drolet a pointed corner of a log wasn’t all the way in and the glass hit it and cracked it, bummer! And that glass isn’t cheap, I see Drolet wants $150 for new ceramic glass but online I can get generic ceramic glass in the size I need for $98 shipped without the Drolet logo on it and I’ll see if the glass shop in Hayward sells ceramic glass for less yet. Oh well it could have been worse, it could have broke out altogether instead of just cracking (it cracked bad) in February when we had the big cold spell leaving me with just the furnace to heat the place and that wouldn’t be good when I have lots and lots of dry wood to burn, too much some say but I don’t lol.

Bummer, it doesn't take much to crack the glass that way.

I finally cleaned the flue about two weeks ago so its shut up for the season but we have had a few days where I could have justified burning. The weather has been extremely cool for this time of year. We had a few nights in the low forties last week and the highs have been in high fifties and low sixties with very many cloudy drizzly days. Normally by this time of year here it's so hot and humid all you want to do is sit down to your mouth in the river or lake.

Burning today. 64 in the house. 57% humidity.

All of my 2022/2023 firewood is split and in a heap.

This is the real shoulder season.

Nah, this is April in June. Yesterday was 12º below normal. We came close to setting a record low temp last night, 45º. I lit a small fire this morning that I will let burn out. It's 54º and sunny now.

I think we might be done for this season, maybe a random fire on cool nights or wanting to bake bread.

Reactions: EbS-P
I might be tonight. 50f with strong north winds all day, wind chills in the 30s. Calling for frost tonight. Welcome to summer in Michigan. This is why I leave an ice scraper in my car year round.

High tomorrow 63 and rain. Then down to 43 tomorrow night. I’ll start a fire tomorrow evening. Hope the cool hurts the Gypsy moth caterpillars, we’re getting stripped this year.

High tomorrow 63 and rain. Then down to 43 tomorrow night. I’ll start a fire tomorrow evening. Hope the cool hurts the Gypsy moth caterpillars, we’re getting stripped this year.
I saw some aerial shots of gypsy moth damage in the CT Berkshires. It looks bad.

Out here, we are in a dry heat wave. Windows opened all night to cool down the house.