Anyone else use Oven Cleaner to clean the glass??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 on the wet paper towel and the urine..................

Early on in the Fall when I was still learning how to run the stove I think I did just about everything folks have suggested in past threads . . . well everything except peeing on the glass like AP ;). Nowadays I'm just too cheap so I use a couple sheets of wet newspaper (left over from the previous week's weekly paper) and clean off the glass . . . if there is still a black smudge here or there that will not come clean with the wet newspaper I'll dab the wet newspaper in some fine wood ash and voila clean glass with a very minimal expense . . . and I'm being "Green" to boot . . . of course after cleaning the woodstove I usually go out on my nasty-smelling, two-stroke polluting, Polar Bear Killing/Greenhouse Gas producing Snowmobile . . . hey Yin and Yang right . . . I'm balancing things out.

I've used the Rutland glass/ceramic cleaner with good success on our QuadraFire i4100. It does require some effort, but this cleaner appears to only contain abbrasives, no highly-corrosive ingredients. I've never seen it scratch the glass. On an unrelated note - prior to using this product, my main window gasket already failed once, so I'm reluctant to use anything more corrosive than this cleaner. I had in the past successfully used a similar product to clean our electric range top, which has a ceramic material cleantop design.

Except for the first bottle of Rutland Cleaner for which I paid full price, I bought all the Rutland cleaner that my local Home Depot had left (3 bottles) for about $2.50/bottle. Home Depot had discounted it by 50% for an end-of-season sale to clear their shelves. I'll take my victories, however small. :)

Having said all of the above, a friend of mine swears by Oven Cleaner for his free-standing woodstove window and has it used it successfully for years.

---Mike

PS I now use Bon-Ami Cleaner made into a paste on our electric range top; it's never scratched our stove top or ceramic cookware. I have NOT tried Bon Ami-paste on my i4100 windows - has anyone tried this on their woodstove windows? I'm not suggesting that someone should, I just wondered if someone has looked into this... ...it seems like is should be okay, but obviously I can't recommend it without any data showing it's safe, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.