Anyone ever have wood stolen?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, that would be different. If you just put a couple of Black Cat firecrackers in there, you would get the attention of the criminal scum and probably not kill anybody.

I have put firecrackers in the stove and the results are about the same as a good pop from a log. An m80 might be a better choice, lol.

Wife and I came back from a bike ride one Sunday afternoon and noticed the neighbors were having a big bonfire and birthday celebration. About 5mn later I noticed one of my very neat wood stacks (closest to these neighbors) was missing a wheelbarrow sized section. I gave it about a week for them to replace it or say something but they never did. I installed a security light and they immediately flipped out about it. I just said stuff was going missing from my yard so I had to do something. Then they tried to block my ally access and got the city to write me a letter about the light. At one point they did admit to taking the wood but by then the war was on. Had 29 years at that property but the last 5 was hell once they moved in. At the same time the rest of the neighborhood was degrading as the old retired folk died off and new people who didn't know how to take care of a house/property moved in. Wife had enough and found a place in the country with 6 acres and lots of outbuildings... best thing we ever did. Now only one neighbor and I need binoculars to see them.

Reactions: D8Chumley
The idea of a booby trapped piece of wood seems like a genuine idea on paper, the social just element that plays out in ones head is fitting, but then snap back into reality and realize that if something like that were to happen and an innocent kid got hurt because an older sibling or parent decided to steal a couple splits , all of that heart ache is on your shoulders just as much as the person that decided to steal. In other words, don't do that, pick up some camera's, or a cheap trail cam and file a traditional police report, or just confront the person if its a neighbor. BTW is someone was to booby trap a split with gunpowder or fireworks, and they get caught, its a federal charge, manufacturing explosives', plus the state and local charges, then civil penalties, over a couple dollar wood splits.

kennyp, that is well put I hadn't thought about that. If you even put a small charge of powder in the firewood, you have manufactured an explosive. That is, indeed, a federal charge and you will get ATF investigating you.
Many times, these Federal agencies, having a hard time catching the real Bad Guys, will catch a small guy and they have the time and resources to grind you into powder.

This stupid punk who got busted the other day for trying to burn down the Federal building in Portland, what he did was throw a big firecracker into the building. They got him on Federal arson charges. If convicted, minimum time is 5 years in prison, maximum is 20 years.

Got to love the courts now days - law-abiding citizen- basically no rights- dirt bag scum they are bending over backwards to protect(?) steals your firewood gets sliver that gets infected and it's your fault. Sleazball sues you. You end up spending several grand to defend yourself. Pick your own scenario outcome about the same every time.

I happen to store my black powder in hollowed wood chunks safely in my back yard away from my house. Idk where you guys store yours!

• Haha
Have I had wood stolen? Yes . . . and no.

Older neighbor called the town to report a large dead elm on my property but in the town's road right of way was dangerous -- for some reason she got it in her head that the tree would come crashing down and land on one of the Amish buggies riding by (why she was concerned about the Amish buggies and not a car driving by is beyond my comprehension as well.)

Long story, short . . . town paid a guy to come in and cut it down. Since it was the middle of the week I didn't get much -- if any -- of a start on bucking up the wood. Came home from work one day however to find about half of the tree missing. Checked in with the formerly mentioned neighbor who is a veritable one person Neighborhood Watch and she told me who took the wood. Tracked down the guy and it turns out he was paid by the town to cut it down and assumed it was also OK to take the wood. I informed him I burned wood and intended to keep the wood . . . but seeing as he had already gone through the effort of cutting it down, bucking it up and hauling it home I figured the best thing to do was allow him to keep the wood he had hauled home.

In the end it worked out pretty well for me anyways since the tree was cut down, most of it was bucked up for me without having to fire up my saw and the guy was really happy with the load of "oak" he had cut. I didn't have the heart to tell him he would discover his "oak" was actually elm when he went to split it by hand.

Had a tree come down in my front yard on a power pole. Electric co dropped it , I cut it up. Piled it in front yard, someone drove up our lane and took it.
At our camp we walked past a neighbors cabin, wood pile torn up, tire tracks with chains in the snow, led right to another cabin. First cabin was from Jersey, rarely up. Don’t like either party so stayed out of it. A local is known for delivering wood, then coming back to steal it. Tried that with a friend, mistimed it, caught by 4 guys with turkey shotguns.

30 years ago, while the house we live in still to this day, was going through escrow, I stopped by to look at the property. We had asked as part of the sale that 7 black walnut tree be cut down and firewood stacked along the driveway. Seller agreed. Well one this day, I drove up and there was an old guy with a wheel barrow loading the wood and carting it off down the street to his house.

After his 3rd or more load, I jumped out of my truck walked over to him. He said "Hey, back up the truck and snag some of this firewood before the new people move in." So I backed up my truck, loaded the wood and then followed him down the street to his house. I then proceeded to unload the wood in his pile that he had been building. He thanked me and suggested I get my own load.

At that point I introduced myself..."Hi, I'm the new people". His face went completely blank. I figure if someone needs it bad enough to steal it...then they need it pretty bad. Turned out the old guy was an ex-FBI agent.

I feel for you but can't quite reach
Just remember if you use this method to post a warning that
some splits may be seeded with black powder. Got to tell
thieves that they are putting their lives at risk.
Also covers your butt
i would think all evidence would be destroyed in the explosion and fire. All you'd have to do is feign ignorance.

Here is an old post I ran back in 2012 about a neighbor who got robbed blind of all their firewood...minus typos! lol

What would you recommend aside from calling law enforcement on people who slip in by night or while you're not home and just help themselves to a cord or two of your best firewood?

Recently...a neighbor had ordered some mesquite & black locust firewood from offline and it cost him a ton of money...but he just loves the stuff...about a half a cord each.
He stacked it prettier than cream in his back yard along side some box elder & devils walking stick.

Some low life idiot bypassed his two Mastiffs...and left the elder and devils walking sticks...and made off with all his mesquite & black locust...as well as a new splitter!!
The only thing they left were about a half case of empty Bud light cans and 2 empty Evans Williams bottles!:confused:

A feller on the other side of the street says he saw somebody just a chunking wood in the trunk of a massive station wagon at around 4:00am...before he could get his clothes on and grab his scatter gun...they bailed out running over some new sod and driving plumb through a picket fence!!!!

He's had more people stop by lately and ask how much we'd like to sell our wood for than ever!!!

Any suggestions guys????

Looks like there may be some serious blood shed...I'm afraid.
Neighbors solution's: He bored out 6 fat good looking oak logs and half filled them with cat piss and put a glued plug back in them & trip wire which activated a 15 second recording of machine gun fire/shotgun blast fire!! PROBLEM SOLVED.

You can buy bobcat urine as a pest control product. Used to see it at Agway.

Reactions: ReggieT
You can buy skunk urine too. I bought it in the 1970's as cover scent when deer hunting. It worked! And it kept other hunters away!!

• Wow
Reactions: ReggieT
I'm good friends with my neighbor and I can always tell when my he takes from my pile because he'll leave me a nip or two of Dr. McGillicuddy :)

I'm good friends with my neighbor and I can always tell when my he takes from my pile because he'll leave me a nip or two of Dr. McGillicuddy :)
Now that's a good neighbor and an even better reason to keep the stacks well-stocked!