Anyone Garden?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any gutter downspouts you can direct the discharge at it ?

Let's see some garden pics. I'm looking forward to some good hot home made salsa. I have 4 tomato varieties, 2 chili pepper varieties, cucs, spaghetti squash, cherry tomatoes, basil.
uploadfromtaptalk1469831868863.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1469831887489.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1469831902268.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1469831910013.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1469831919635.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1469831926633.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1469831958479.jpg

Onion harvesting today and I picked our first ears of corn. Yum.
IMAG2067web.jpg

How do I know when cucs are ready? I have heirloom, straight eight

when they are about this big <_______________>

get a pair of micrometers and pick when 8 inches long ?
my rule for cucumbers is better to pick too small than too large as they get bitter
defective ones I pick when the non-defective part is a good size.

some turn yellow when they start getting bitter

I'm having good luck with national picklers and bush champion (slicers )
pickalots are wilting but I see no cucumber beetles or any other kind of bugs

24 ears of corn, our second picking of golden garden deliciousness.

IMAG2122web.jpg

Well, my June bearing strawberry patch is done bearing, so I have just gone in and completely cut off all the leaves and runners as shown in the second picture. I know that might seem drastic, but do some research, it has worked great for me for years. By late fall you have a nice green crop of new leaves going into the winter, not the stunted discolored leaves that you have if you let the old ones grow all summer. This is just for the June bearers of course.

The other thing I do is to religiously remove all runners at all times. This way I do not get a solid root-bound patch, and do not need to periodically dig them up and replace them. I have had these original mother plants for seven or eight years, and they bear fantastically, I get at least a gallon every other day during the 3-4 week bearing season. Great for processing. The only thing I would have done different is to widen the rows. I put the original mother plants in on rows two feet apart. I would use 3 feet apart if doing it over.

100_1606.JPG 100_1656.JPG

Reactions: billb3
Good info. Are the leaves in the second picture cut off and just sitting on top like a mulch or are they still attached to the plant and growing. What variety are these berries?

i need to find a spot for strawberries and blackberries....

i have been really disappointed with my cucumbers this year, I have only gotten a couple. my patty pan squash is out of control, i got one the size of my head the other day.

its about time to make a pesto batch, since my basil needs to get cut back. I did get my first red thai hot pepper the other day, the heat has been good to those!

Wish you lived closer. We must be over 40 cucumbers this year and have been giving them away frequently.

The leaves of the strawberries in the second picture are cut off and lying in the path between the rows. The light green crowns of the plants can be seen between the rows of cut-off leaves. The variety is Sparkle.

Thanks, that makes sense. Sparkles are very tasty. I had them many years ago back east.

Thanks, that makes sense. Sparkles are very tasty. I had them many years ago back east.
So, I've got most of an 8x5 bed open. I'm stumped as what to plant with the days left.

So, I've got most of an 8x5 bed open. I'm stumped as what to plant with the days left.
you could do spinach, lettuce, kale and beets?

Radishes and turnips? Turnips are always my first root crop to harvest, best when quite small, and can take a pretty good frost. They make great cole slaw.

I have carrots, lettuce, rutabagas, broccoli and beets recently started. Will be planting fall spinach and radishes very soon.

I have carrots, lettuce, rutabagas, broccoli and beets recently started. Will be planting fall spinach and radishes very soon.
I'm thinking carrots, beets. Do squirrels/rabbits/chipmunks bother them?

Carrot and beet greens are quite edible. Rabbits love them.

Carrot and beet greens are quite edible. Rabbits love them.
i love them... i use radish tops, beet tops, and squash blossoms all the time... mmmmmm.

1 tub of potatoes, I think it was 3 "plants".
IMG_0642.JPG
not all that impressed. Chard going in the tub for Fall.

IMG_0643.JPG
finally got the last row and a half of onions pulled
It's so dry here I was able to put it off and just leave them in the ground to dry up, but I wanted to get some last minute peas and some more carrots in as something has gotten in and eaten all my carrot tops off. Repeatedly. I don't have many carrots. Beyond the carrots between the boards is some yellow zucchini and summer squash that's doing fairly well.
--------------------------------------------------
zucchini on the right, summer squash on the left :
IMG_0645.JPG

31 squash plants, so I've been able to donate about 25 pounds a week to a local food pantry. It's not much but it's not nothing.
Of course, mom, my two sisters and a niece and her two boys get some and string beans too.

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
Status
Not open for further replies.