Anyone have an idea about this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
KY
I was at my local ACE today and they have a Century stove that is model # CB0005 and the label says it has a 1.3 cu ft firebox. It says it will heat up to 1500 ft at 65000 btu. The Century web site has the stove listed as a CB00005 and says it has a 1.9 cu ft firebox and all other info is the same as the 1.3 at ACE. Well, I'll tell you the 1.3 cu ft is a tiny little thing and I wonder if it would heat much at all. Just curious if anyone has any info on what is going on with these 2 model #'s as the one has an extra 0. Does Century make 2 different model #s with the difference being the firebox. All the ACE websites do not tell the cu ft but all other info is the same as Centuries site.

Thanks for any info,
Rob

I would not get a small firebox like a 1.3 or 1.9, get a good size firebox so that you are not constanting having to feed your stove. I seen some century stoves in a northern stove back in december, If it was me i would go to lowes or homw depot and get me a englander wood stove big firebox, longburn times and the price is a really good deal.

I would certainly question those numbers. I doubt that size stove would produce 65,000 btu but if it did, it certainly would kick out that heat for only a very short time, especially with that small of a fire box.

Always bear in mind that the numbers they show are peak. Wood stove heat will peak and then gradually drop down as the fuel burns. Ours, for example will peak near 700 degrees and we typically reload when it is down to 300-350.

KYrob said:
I was at my local ACE today and they have a Century stove that is model # CB0005 and the label says it has a 1.3 cu ft firebox. It says it will heat up to 1500 ft at 65000 btu. The Century web site has the stove listed as a CB00005 and says it has a 1.9 cu ft firebox and all other info is the same as the 1.3 at ACE. Well, I'll tell you the 1.3 cu ft is a tiny little thing and I wonder if it would heat much at all. Just curious if anyone has any info on what is going on with these 2 model #'s as the one has an extra 0. Does Century make 2 different model #s with the difference being the firebox. All the ACE websites do not tell the cu ft but all other info is the same as Centuries site.

Thanks for any info,
Rob

I agree with the other posters. If this is your only stove, go larger. I have an Intrepid and when burned at 550-650 I get 2-3 hour burn times before I need to reload. Lots of reloading due to the small firebox. And I really have to question the BTU ratings. 65k BTUs is more than a Soapstone Heritage (55k BTUs with a 2.3 cubic foot firebox) and an old VC Vigilant (50k BTUs with a firebox at about 2.1 cubic feet).

A larger capacity stove will hold more fuel for longer burn times. If you push the 1.3 cu ft stove, it could heat 1500 sq ft assuming outside temp of say 20 and a reasonably well insulated house. The question is how long would it burn?

How large a place would the stove be heating and how tightly insulated is it?

Your budget on your new heating device is critical in
the decision making. Besides any expected ROI on it,
in the form of payback savings over that of your
current device.

A very small stove may not contribute much to your
actual BTU requirements. Besides, it could be a real
pain with constant reloading, etc. and never warming
your home. It's payback may never be realized.

Choose wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.