Anyone have any experience with the Husky 40v chain saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day,
I have a leaf blower and weed wacker from Husky (40v) - they work very well. Better then I expected. I am looking at also moving into the chain saw line. I will be using the saw mostly to cut splits to a shorter length for my top down starting builds. Has anyone used one?

Thanks, Dave

I can only add my short experience with my Makita battery saw. (3 weeks)
I'm not sure if you mean Husqvarna or something else but I am on the Makita "platform" and some of my 5 year old batteries are fading a little. I saw an offer for the saw with 4 batteries (takes 2 at a time) and a dual charger for basically the price of the batteries that I have other uses for also. After a little use of friends DeWalt and Milwaukee battery saws I was impressed and realized that they had their place in the saw world.
All battery tools seem to play the same game when it comes to needing batteries, they get you hooked and take advantage of you when it comes to replacement. If I didn't already have a half dozen+ other tools that used the same battery I would pass. I am well aware of this "game".
I like my little quiet, light new and shiny battery saw, great for what I believe it's intended for and other than the batteries, I can't imagine that there's a nickels worth of difference between brands.

me.. personally I'm a husky fan. I have a number of there saws. I would stick with a gas saw. Why limit your options regarding cutting. With a gas saw you can go out with a 2 gallon mix can and cut for 3 weekends or more. You can cut anywhere any time. With the battery version your limited to battery life and recharge time as well as being near a place that you can plug in. For me.. when I get into wood mode, I want to get as much done as I can and not have the project drag out any longer, nor do I want to have to wait for a tool to be ready.
Sometimes when I'm working I don't even stop to sharpen or adjust my chain.. I just grab another saw and keep going..

Electric saws keep getting better. At some point they may get even closer to gas saws. I like to have a corded e-saw or 2 for around the place, but also have gas saws. Maybe Elon Musk will engineer an electric saw that is fast and lasts a long time!

There’s some good arguments for the tree service model. I hardly use mine anymore or I’d probably buy one. For general purposes though I don’t see it being very practical

Construction crews that need to clean up may find a use, if the batteries were interchangeable with other tools. The number of applications would be a lot more varied, and their methods of working are, let's say, quick and not pretty. Notch a spruce, push it over with an excavator, hack the branches, snag the works and throw on a truck. Not messing with mix and containers, and interchangable batteries might be handy.

Reactions: Nealm66
That is an impressive tool that 540 xp. But expensive!

Last edited:
I have the Ego and use it most for limbing, second for brushing and thinning saplings, third for occasional larger logs. I really like the instant on and smokeless operation. I also have the Ego self propelled lawnmower and the string trimmer. Ego batteries are interchangeable among the tools, and now also I have three batteries, all 56V and 7.5, 5 and 2.5A batteries. Very pleased with all the Ego tools.

I like to have a corded e-saw or 2 for around the place, but also have gas saws.

I've wondered about this... How do you find the corded saw(s)? I've been thinking it may be worth having one around the house and/or the cabin for bucking logs into rounds quickly, or for cutting long wood short enough for my stove, etc

Corded e-saws are much cheaper then the battery saws, and usually more powerful. As far as I know, 15 amp is the largest available. There are several brands - Oregon, Makita, Worx, Black & Decker, Green Works. Also, consider getting one used - there are many out there that people buy and don't use much.

I like that they are quiet which is a good feature if you have neighbors. Bucking large hardwood into rounds might be a bit too much on these little electric motors, though. That is what the gas saw is for. Limbs, lighter woods, and less than 15" diameter wood is what the corded e-saw can be used on.

Last edited: