Anyone know what this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerMan

Minister of Fire
Apr 16, 2012
Northern Maine
Three of these fell but I can't seem to figure out what kind of tree it is. My guess is some type of aspen.......... Thick deeply furrowed gray bark, new top groath a silver white. Leaves are about 1.5" long. I'm guessing it's junk wood, but would like to know before comitting to a price to DSC02690.JPGDSC02689.JPG haul it off.

TS

I'm not too good with ID with leaves but your description and comment about aspen makes me wonder. Most aspen around here is a silver white but not deep furrowed at the bottom they are fairly smooth all the way up.
Also I like your last statement on your list.

We have lots of Aspen... Poplar.... weed trees here. The bottom of the leaves are almost white with no hair, the tops are a bit plastic looking. I just don't want to end up like I did last year with 2 cord of "free" basswood :mad: won't even burn in the campfire..............................

TS

Leaf don't resemble Aspen I'm familiar with.
Aspen bark is smooth, mostly white with gray patches.
Aspen leaf:
aspen.jpeg

Nice avatar, Dave. I suppose you just walked out in your back yard and snapped a picture.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice avatar, Dave. I suppose you just walked out in your back yard and snapped a picture.

Thanks
Actually a friend few miles away got the picture yesterday with a better camera than mine.
They sent it & I thought it would make a nice avatar to replace the my walrus pic.
Different eagle.
Here's one of our local eagles. See the difference?
Stayed on topic ; some aspen trees & dead spruce in the background :)

1 eag 2.JPG

Reactions: DexterDay
Thanks
Actually a friend few miles away got the picture yesterday with a better camera than mine.
They sent it & I thought it would make a nice avatar to replace the my walrus pic.
Different eagle.
Here's one of our local eagles. See the difference?
Stayed on topic ; some aspen trees & dead spruce in the background :)

View attachment 69988

Definitely different leaves. The bird, not so sure.

Everyone is right...........It's Poplar, once I sunk the saw into it, like butter, and the poplar smell. Also the familar vibrant green underbark. Well I'm getting paid to haul it, free BTUs. :ZZZ

Thanks ALL!
TS

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We have lots of Aspen... Poplar.... weed trees here. The bottom of the leaves are almost white with no hair, the tops are a bit plastic looking. I just don't want to end up like I did last year with 2 cord of "free" basswood :mad: won't even burn in the campfire..............................

TS

Bass will burn just fine....but will burn up rather quickly. If it didn't burn in the campfire, it probably was not bass else it was still green.

And I agree it is popple.

The basswood is like poplar I guess, it rots so quickly if not split and stacked quickly. But man is it light when it's dry. It was wet, I was frusterated I processed several trees for free thinking they were good wood, not this time.

TS

Poplar . . . bass . . . all good wood for kindling, camp fires and shoulder season fires . . . once seasoned. Wouldn't want to rely on these types of wood for burning in middle of January though.

The basswood is like poplar I guess, it rots so quickly if not split and stacked quickly. But man is it light when it's dry. It was wet, I was frusterated I processed several trees for free thinking they were good wood, not this time.

TS

The lightness and how good it dries plus being a relatively soft wood makes this ideal for whittlers and if you remember those little toy airplanes we used to have fun with, hooking the rubber bands on to propel it, those were made with bass wood.

The lightness and how good it dries plus being a relatively soft wood makes this ideal for whittlers and if you remember those little toy airplanes we used to have fun with, hooking the rubber bands on to propel it, those were made with bass wood.

The times have changed between our generations . . . in my generation those little planes were being made out of balsa wood . . . today's generation probably has planes built out of plastic or composite material . . . and they are probably powered by batteries.

The original tree is White Poplar. It is not a native tree but it is planted in a lot of places.

Status
Not open for further replies.