Anyone planning on buying a pre-2020 wood stove in 2020?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well that isn't going to happen anywhere but box stores. You gambled trying to save a few bucks by waiting until the last minute. That didn't work out.
not actually. i don't need a new stove, was just looking to pick up one or two at a big discount. a little presumptious assuming i'm "gambling". and it wouldn't be a few bucks. i could have picked some up last fall at 20-30% off older models (VC, Hearthstone) but didn't need one, so just decided to wait for maximum discount this spring. of course, nobody could have really predicted the national shutdown.

i may start emailing my local shops this month to check on inventory.

not actually. i don't need a new stove, was just looking to pick up one or two at a big discount. a little presumptious assuming i'm "gambling". and it wouldn't be a few bucks. i could have picked some up last fall at 20-30% off older models (VC, Hearthstone) but didn't need one, so just decided to wait for maximum discount this spring. of course, nobody could have really predicted the national shutdown.

i may start emailing my local shops this month to check on inventory.
If you don't need one why would you be buying one or two?

I am in the process of doing this. I've ordered a Jotul Rockland C550 insert, and expect delivery/install in a couple of weeks (Covid-19 willing). Jotul apparently has pre-2020 inserts and stoves in inventory and is offering pretty decent discounts on them. The Jotul dealer didn't have it in stock, it's being shipped from wherever Jotul keeps them. Like rwh63, I don't actually need an insert (dirt cheap natural gas forced air), but I do have an unused fireplace in the living room, a wife who grew up with a wood stove and a decent amount of trees. Throw in an EPA-2020 driven discount and all my dominoes lined up. This will be my first foray into wood heat.

Jotuls on close out just thought i would put this out there a few Jotuls advertised on FB in Albers IL about 40 min east osf St Louis here are the links links won't post here are few pics looks like 6 stoves on sale

Jotul.PNG jotul2.PNG

Last edited:
Not sure, but this might be the store. All pre EPA2020 stoves are on sale at 20% off (and maybe even more).

So, I read all the way through this and other threads, and am now thoroughly confused :). Long story short, a local (reputable) shop has these for sale: Jotul F500 ($1500), Pac Energy Alderlea T4 ($1400), Hearthstone Manchester ($1800) or Hearthstone Heritage Soapstone ($2000). I have a 3200SF house, but living space is more like 2400, laid out ranch-style. I currently heat with propane, and am looking to cut gas usage by at least 50% by installing wood stove. Existing propane fireplace (I never use it) was a replacement for original wood stove, and therefore has a good 6" double-wall flue, triple chimney, so I think I'm OK there. It's a fairly open floor plan. I have no idea if these are pre-2020 or not, but I'm assuming they are at those prices. Oh, and I live in an area where enforcement is pretty much a non-issue anyway. I'm leaning toward the Manchester, but read some fairly negative threads on it, at least in the early days. Could never find much on whether the door and QC issues had been resolved or not. I've used old-school VC Resolute and Encore stoves for over a decade in other houses, loved those, but trying to get back to wood in a new era is confusing! With all the above, and those prices, what would you advise me to buy, if any?

So, I read all the way through this and other threads, and am now thoroughly confused :). Long story short, a local (reputable) shop has these for sale: Jotul F500 ($1500), Pac Energy Alderlea T4 ($1400), Hearthstone Manchester ($1800) or Hearthstone Heritage Soapstone ($2000). I have a 3200SF house, but living space is more like 2400, laid out ranch-style. I currently heat with propane, and am looking to cut gas usage by at least 50% by installing wood stove. Existing propane fireplace (I never use it) was a replacement for original wood stove, and therefore has a good 6" double-wall flue, triple chimney, so I think I'm OK there. It's a fairly open floor plan. I have no idea if these are pre-2020 or not, but I'm assuming they are at those prices. Oh, and I live in an area where enforcement is pretty much a non-issue anyway. I'm leaning toward the Manchester, but read some fairly negative threads on it, at least in the early days. Could never find much on whether the door and QC issues had been resolved or not. I've used old-school VC Resolute and Encore stoves for over a decade in other houses, loved those, but trying to get back to wood in a new era is confusing! With all the above, and those prices, what would you advise me to buy, if any?
The jotul or Pacific energy

Thanks! I could definitely see the Jotul, but the PE seems much smaller (1.5SF firebox?). Not sure that's big enough? Apparently you're not a fan of Hearthstone :)

Thanks! I could definitely see the Jotul, but the PE seems much smaller (1.5SF firebox?). Not sure that's big enough? Apparently you're not a fan of Hearthstone :)
Yeah a 1.5 cuft firebox is pretty small. I didn't look it up and didn't know it was that small. I am not very impressed by the performance of hearthstone stoves. They are ok but in my opinion you can get more performance for less money with many other stoves

I grabbed an F500 at about the same price during the sell off. Replacing the Clydesdale with it. Having soapstone fire brick inside of cast iron doesn't make much sense to me. It is like a thermal barrier to transferring the heat into the room. After hanging out at my neighbors who has a Jotul I couldn't resist the sale price.

Yeah a 1.5 cuft firebox is pretty small. I didn't look it up and didn't know it was that small. I am not very impressed by the performance of hearthstone stoves. They are ok but in my opinion you can get more performance for less money with many other stoves

Well turns out the Manchester is spoken for, but they do have two Heritage's left. They sure are purty! But $500 more, maybe not worth it. The F500 appears to be a well-tested unit, I should probably go with that. That seems an awful good price.

I grabbed an F500 at about the same price during the sell off. Replacing the Clydesdale with it. Having soapstone fire brick inside of cast iron doesn't make much sense to me. It is like a thermal barrier to transferring the heat into the room. After hanging out at my neighbors who has a Jotul I couldn't resist the sale price.

Do you have it yet? I do have a limitation on the side-door loading, will likely need to use the front door to load. Think that's an issue?

I have the stove. I have not pulled the old one and installed it yet though. It is a very nice looking stove. If you can't use the side door some people seem to complain about the front door spilling ashes. If you get the lock kit for the side door your hearth size is allowed to be smaller.

The Manchester with the door fix is the best choice. In the next size down I'd choose the Oslo over the Heritage. But with the side door loading issue I would choose none of the above and get a proper front loader like the Alderlea T6.

The Manchester with the door fix is the best choice. In the next size down I'd choose the Oslo over the Heritage. But with the side door loading issue I would choose none of the above and get a proper front loader like the Alderlea T6.
Yeah, I bet you can still find stoves if you hunt a bit. Just seek out dealers closest to where you are, work your way out, and I think you might find some that are still stuck with some old stoves, that would be willing to deal..

For the past month or so I have been trying to locate a True North TN20, Series A. Series A is the 2015 compliant model; Series B is the 2020 compliant model. I located 2 in Arkansas for $799; but the location is over 500 miles away. (I'm not sure if they are still available). I also located one about 75 miles away, but he wants $1100 for it. He told me that $799 is under his cost; and he has someone to take it if not sold by May 15th. My searches on this websites revealed that people thought they could be had for under $1000 a few years back.

Dealers say they can order the TN20 Series B for $1500 plus $100 - $125 for freight.
My current stove has a 1.2 cubic foot firebox. I did not get the heat I needed out of it this winter. I am currently cutting and splitting wood so that I can load it N-S which seemed to give me the best heat per load. That's a lot of work!

For the past month or so I have been trying to locate a True North TN20, Series A. Series A is the 2015 compliant model; Series B is the 2020 compliant model. I located 2 in Arkansas for $799; but the location is over 500 miles away. (I'm not sure if they are still available). I also located one about 75 miles away, but he wants $1100 for it. He told me that $799 is under his cost; and he has someone to take it if not sold by May 15th. My searches on this websites revealed that people thought they could be had for under $1000 a few years back.

Dealers say they can order the TN20 Series B for $1500 plus $100 - $125 for freight.
My current stove has a 1.2 cubic foot firebox. I did not get the heat I needed out of it this winter. I am currently cutting and splitting wood so that I can load it N-S which seemed to give me the best heat per load. That's a lot of work!
Look around for a good deal on a pre-2020 Drolet too.

Clearance sales are happening. Keep your eye out and phone busy. This is in Maryland.

For anyone located near Jonesboro, Arkansas (northwest of Memphis TN), there is a True North TN20 Series A (2015 compliant) for sale for $600.00. If this was closer to me I would jump all over that. The size, (firebox and footprint) fit my needs. It is just too far away. I even checked out freight and it gets expensive.
A while back I communicated with the dealer. At that time he had two. Look at Craigslist for Jonesboro, Arkansas.
I thought I would put this out so somebody can get a good deal.
Or if someone from the area wants to drive it up to my house in Northern Illinois.........

That's a great deal, even if freight adds $300.

so, did dealers get an extension on pre-2020 stoves, or are they all sold/destroyed by now?

I was trying to find a pre 2020 stove (Kuma Sequoia), cant find them anywhere. So i looks like i am going to have to go with this bullshit
EPA 2020 stove.

I was trying to find a pre 2020 stove (Kuma Sequoia), cant find them anywhere. So i looks like i am going to have to go with this bullshit
EPA 2020 stove.
Nothing wrong with 2020 stuff nessecarily. Just go with something that is a proven design

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
so, did dealers get an extension on pre-2020 stoves, or are they all sold/destroyed by now?
No. EPA should provide a decision by September.

Nope, but you might just find them slightly used for sale on marketplace if you’ve got your eye out :)