APC 350

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
Power started kicking off and on last night. I realized I haven't got a surge protector, so Irushed to Wally World and got an APC350. It's all they carry here. 350 joules. Will this be adequate?

Well I returned the APC350 and got an APC750. Hopefully that is sized ok. It's rated at 750 joules. I have no idea what I need.

Turbo, that should be OK. Any joule rating above 700 will be fine, but obviously the higher the better. Clamping time (suppressed voltage rating) is important too….the lower the better…anything under 400 is good. Also try to look for one that protects all three lines…neutral, hot, ground.

See this for MUCH more info:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58498/

BTW, I got these for my pellet stove & stereo system…TrippLite TravelCube. They have good specs, and I got them online for $22 for both including shipping from ewiz.com The specs are:

SURGE / NOISE SUPPRESSION
AC suppression joule rating 950 joules
AC suppression response time < 1 ns
Protection modes Includes full normal mode (H-N) and common mode (N-G / H-G) line surge suppression
Clamping voltage (RMS) 150V
UL1499 let through rating 330V - UL Verified
EMI / RFI filtering Up to 20dB
$10,000 Ultimate Lifetime Insurance (US & Canada only)
Approvals Exceeds IEEE 587 category A&B specifications

Do you plug the tripplite into the APC?

Status
Not open for further replies.