Appalachian Gemini XL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnsnstev

Aug 11, 2016
Greenville Sc
Hello, Everyone
I purchased a used Appalachian Gemini Xl with the model year 2003 on it.
I am building a new home and want to put it as my fireplace. It is a zero clearance insert so it will go right into the fireplace framing and not be free standing. It is basically a insert put into a insulated steel box. My confusion is how do I get a positive connection to this from the Chimney. Also it states in manual I can use a 6 inch or 8 inch Class A pipe. I am not sure what is best obviously I would prefer 6 inch due to cost of chimney. However, I do not want problems down the road. My Chimney will be around 17 feet tall and will most likely need to have a offset elbow to move away from peak. Any advise would be great. I am not sure if I am supposed to just put the triple wall chimney pipe right into the whole on stove or if I need some connector piece. I see no where that anything would screw or lock into this chimney so I assume you just put the pipe in and put some stove cement around it? If I go with 6 inch pipe I would need a reducer from 6 to 8 inch. Everything I find for that is single wall not insulated. All I see on there website is a flat metal plate that lays in the 8 inch whole taking it down to 6 not sure how that would work. Any Ideas would help see pix below.

Thanks Steven

upload_2016-8-11_9-17-53.png

Attachments

• instructions.jpg
    instructions.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 415
  • model.jpg
    model.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 407
  • stovehole.jpg
    stovehole.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 377
Last edited by a moderator:
There area number of manufactures of the insulated pipe. I know Selkirk metalbestos and Ventis pipes have either a 15 deg or 30 deg offset elbow kits, I would assume others probably offer it also.
There is usually an Anchor Plate that can be mounted to the insert and add your pipe up from there. The Ventis one has a 10" x 10" plate and Selkirk is 9.25" x 9.25", so you may have better luck with Ventis if you want to go with 6" Class A pipe over the 8" hole.

Double Thanks for the response. I did look at the anchor plates that could work. However, I am not sure what would go from that down into stove or do I not need anything underneath that plate. If I go with the 8" insulated pipe can I put that straight down into the insert and then put Stove cement around the pipe to get a positive connection? My builder said I might be okay to go straight up with no elbow. Chimney would be about 18 ft any thoughts on if 6 inch pipe would be enough draft or should I spend the money on the 8". Thanks

Last edited:
Unless I missed something, the Anchor plate is what will sit on the stove to allow you to use the Class A pipe. You will not just have Class A pipe go to the stove and seal it. An 8" Double wall insulated pipe is about 10" on the outside and 6" Double wall Insulated pipe is 8", depending on the MFG.
If the insert MFG says you can use 6" or 8" then the 6" Double wall pipe should work, 8" may give you a little more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.