Aqua stat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jt8769594

Jan 6, 2017
Wisconsin up north.
I have a question on what else will I need on this duel system I have. I have a outside wood boiler for when I am home.

A propane furnace when I go on the road to work now the question is last time I came home the house was a little cold and also when the ac guy came to hook both systems together to the thermostat he told me I might have a problem since the pex tubes come into the house they stay warn a little longer so would a aquastat help to turn the furnace on at 60?.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you have a forced air propane furnace with a coil in the duct?
You should be able to run two thermostats. One to turn on the propane, the other to turn on just the blower. Might take a relay or two. Then you set the propane thermostat at whatever temp you want it to back up the wood heat.
I'm assuming he was using a start/stop pump and then an aquastat to sense when the Pex got hot and then turning on the blower? I couldn't understand what you meant there.
Also it would help if you could post more info on your wood furnace, install details, etc.
Thanks.

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
An aquastat could also be used to sense incoming water temps and switch from wood to propane automatically.

I do have two thermostats one for the wood boiler and one for the propane furance. Today when I left the House I shut the wood boiler thermostat off and turned the propane furance on set to 60 now I don't have anything on the line coming into the House and I don't think when the temp get cold tonight the propane will kick in because those lines in the house will probably still be warm.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

If there's no sensor on the incoming lines from the outdoor furnace the propane heat thermostat on your wall should have no way of knowing if your wood boiler temp is high or low- the gas would just kick on as normal when the house temp dropped. Maybe I'm missing something. ?

Like NateB said- if you have an aquastat on the incoming lines then it's likely wired to hold the propane off til the wood boiler temp drops. But it would continue to heat off the wood boiler til it actually loses temp.
Some of these wiring discussions are tough to sort out without being able to see all the details.
Keep us posted.