Archery.. and kids

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, my son started asking for a "bow and arrow" last year. He was 5. Figured he's too young to even have the required coordination.

Now he's six, and still asking. Well, I guess I started shooting target (.22 cal) at age 6, so that precedent is set.

Who here has kids into archery? What was your experience? What can one expect at age 6?

Also, I have my father's old Bear recurve bow, which needs restrung and a new grip and rest. Any sources for that would be appreciated.

Reactions: Ashful
My family is an outdoor family. We hunt and fish. I will refrain from posting pics as it's not politically correct :)

My youngest son had his first bow at 5 years old. He would target practice in the yard. Now he is 15. On Saturday he took his first whitetail deer. 130# doe. I believe in outdoor activities such as bow shooting for both target shooting and hunting.

Society today does not let children be children. Get the boy a bow, and a target and blow some balloons up, attach them to the target and enjoy the time with him. He will grow up to be a young man with memories other than technological junk.....

Have fun!!

Well, did a bit more reading, and was kinda excited about that Genesis compound bow... but then remembered I'm dealing with a 5 year old. He wants what he sees in his mind's eye as a bow and arrow, which is going to be a simple fiberglass or recurve bow. So, I went with an inexpensive Glassflex bow ("1st shot") from Bear, with 10 lb. pull at 15" draw. Came in a kit with quiver and two arrows for $20. Figured it would be less intimidating as a "first shot", than a compound. If he likes it, I can get him something more serious next year.

Also got him some 40 cm paper targets and target pins. Just gotta pick up some new straw bales this week.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntindog1
My family is an outdoor family. We hunt and fish. I will refrain from posting pics as it's not politically correct :)

My youngest son had his first bow at 5 years old. He would target practice in the yard. Now he is 15. On Saturday he took his first whitetail deer. 130# doe. I believe in outdoor activities such as bow shooting for both target shooting and hunting.

Society today does not let children be children. Get the boy a bow, and a target and blow some balloons up, attach them to the target and enjoy the time with him. He will grow up to be a young man with memories other than technological junk.....

Have fun!!

Giving kids little bits of responsibility means that they must inherently take on small amounts of risk. This is healthy. This is how we make adults out of kids.

Reactions: Ashful
Well, did a bit more reading, and was kinda excited about that Genesis compound bow... but then remembered I'm dealing with a 5 year old. He wants what he sees in his mind's eye and a bow and arrow, which is going to be a simple fiberglass or recurve bow. So, I went with an inexpensive Glassflex bow ("1st shot") from Bear, with 10 lb. pull at 15" draw. Came in a kit with quiver and two arrows for $20. Figured it would be less intimidating as a "first shot", than a compound. If he likes it, I can get him something more serious next year.

Also got him some 40 cm paper targets and target pins. Just gotta pick up some new straw bales this week.

Thanks!

Seems like a great choice for his age, Ash. I got my first start in Archery at Boy Scout camp, so I must have been 10 or 12. We had re-curve bows, no idea the weight. In addition to the range they used to setup a field archery course with animal targets along a trail in the woods. Lots of fun for a 10 year old.

First time I ever held a compound was in College when my buddy was big into target archery. It was a 60 or 80lb pull monster... man that must be good for your arm strength.

Giving kids little bits of responsibility means that they must inherently take on small amounts of risk. This is healthy. This is how we make adults out of kids.
One of the best bits of parenting advice, along these lines, came to me from this forum. It was a thread talking about kids using a log splitter, and I think it came from former forum regular Backwoods Savage. It was essentially that a kid (singly) could be trusted to act responsibly, in situations where kids (plural) will always get into trouble. Moral, his sister won't be outside when he's practicing archery.

Our kids (now 17 & 11 years old) learned archery as members of the local 4H Shooting Sports group. Since doing archery, they moved on to .22 rifle, .22 pistol, and shotgun. Might be something for you to consider.

Yep... former avid trap shooter, here. He already owns two .22's, a 410, and two 20 ga. guns, but will need to wait another year or two before he's ready to shoot any of them.

The archery thing was his idea... I've not done much archery myself, outside of the usual Boy Scouts stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.