Are gas/wood combination fireplaces safe/allowed anymore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a fireplace that could burn wood or gas in the 80's. That was in St Louis, Mo. County, not city. I do not think you can have a combined anymore but not certain. Am now in central Florida. I currently have two fireplaces and wonder about converting one to a gas or combination. As here a fireplace is rarely used- last year 3 times, so far this year none. 85 degrees outside Sunday . Just thinking at this point...

As far as i know there still allowed, as long as the fireplace is built for and up to code for wood burning you can install a gas log set or gas lighter - those are the only i know of though. no gas/ wood combos except for a gas lighter as once you go gas logs you cant burn wood or you'll ruin the fake logs and embers and the ash will clog up the sand that the gas bubbles up through. I think you should pick gas or wood (with gas lighter of you are an extremely poor firestarter)and stick with it.
Out of curiosity, what gas/wood combos are you referring too?

Status
Not open for further replies.