Are small logs worth burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as for the logsplitter>>>>>>
our local tool rental place rents them for $45 for the day
if you get it on saturday, well they are closed sunday so you get it from sat am to monday am
just pile it up & go like heck for 2 days & it's done
would be nice to own one but would be just one more gas fired engine that wouldn't want to start when you need it god knows i got enough of them already
bob

I can usually scrounge a bunch of small rounds from the woods. These usually fall over the winter and spring. This year I am installing an insert and I'll be using this because the price was right, "priceless". I've been burning them in my fireplace for now and they burn quick and hot.

Attachments

• little1.jpg
    little1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 350
  • little2.jpg
    little2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 357
Definitely keep "em!

Easy way to mass-procuce from them is similar to a saw horse.

Pound stakes into the ground, in pairs, as far apart as you want the wood length to be, and as deep as your chainsaw bar, so you end up with a "channel".
Load it up with branches. Rapidly cut 1.5ft by 4ft in one pass, next stake, another pass, and so on, and you have a mound of firewood in no time.

They're invaluable to throw onto the coals before the larger splits in order to light off secondary burn as soon as possible after reloading.

Risser09 said:
This is my first year as a burner and I've found that having the greatest variety of wood and wood sizes is ideal. As mentioned above, you can use them as small or medium kindling to establish coals or get the temps up in your stove. They can also be used to pack a stove full of wood, where larger pieces wouldn't suffice.

I made a 6 ft. tall bin for scraps and small pieces. I filled it so quickly that I set up 4 pallets and began throwing my wood scraps into a big mountain. I am a scrounger, so I take all the cut logs I can get, which usually aren't cut to 16" for me. When I cut them down to size, there is a lot of thin slices and stubs. Think of all the BTUs I would be throwing away! No need to waste the stuff if it's already there!

DITTO. I have scrounged 90% of the wood i have and it's never cut to 16-18. I have 2 pallets with chicken wire wrapped around them and i throw all my small, odd shaped and unstack-able peices in there. I've been burning a real lot of that stuff over the past few months and i think it will probably last me through the end of January. I burn the small stuff during the day and at night i use the big stuff. It works great for me.

So to answer your question, YES take it all!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.