Are Stove Paint Brands Interchangeable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
I'm doing some touch up work on my Osburn 1600 and it's a metallic black finish. I'm not looking to pull it and redo the whole thing right now...maybe in a few seasons...just redoing two spots, about 2-3 inch long narrow strips, to prevent any further rust damage. This is from burned on dog drool I didn't clean up in time so I anticipate it could be something I need to do every season or two. I plan to just hit it lightly with the steel wool then paint.

What's your experience with Stove Brite or Rustoleum high temp metallic black (things I can get locally) vs OEM SBI brand paint from their website? Not a huge $ difference but I'd rather not waste $ on shipping if there's no reason to.

One has to be careful, some paints are not compatible with Stove Brite which has an acetone base. The acetone will act as a solvent on lacquer-based paints that can cause the underlying paint to wrinkle badly. I had this happen when touching up some older Simpson DuraVent stove pipe. Simpson techs told me to use a high-temp Krylon lacquer instead. Now under DuraTech I think they may have switched to StoveBrite, but it's always good to ask. When in doubt, do a test spray on the back or other less visible area.

I just gave my osburn a paint job with stovebrite mettalic. Have not fired it up yet but it matches the factory paint from sbi just fine

I repainted my Drolet 1400i with Stove Bright paint...some of the paint underneath started lifting almost immediately...took several "sand and touch up sessions" to get it all straightened away...but someone could have repainted with XYZ paint previously? Its been fine since...

You are welcome

Attachments

• thumb.jpeg.jpg
    thumb.jpeg.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 123
I’ve painted dozens of stoves and probably about a mile of stove pipe with Stove Bright and never had an issue. Before you spray the work, You need to spray the paint at a piece of cardboard or something to clear the catalyst out of the pick up tube in the can. If not, it makes a big nasty spot in the paint that eats into the existing paint. I think that’s where people make the mistake.

I'm sure the Stove Brite would work fine as you guys have said but I decided to just get the SBI stuff. It was available and takes any guess work out.

Get that Isles crap out of here lol. Tight series tho could go either way!

1FlJrgsU_400x400.jpg

I’ve painted dozens of stoves and probably about a mile of stove pipe with Stove Bright and never had an issue. Before you spray the work, You need to spray the paint at a piece of cardboard or something to clear the catalyst out of the pick up tube in the can. If not, it makes a big nasty spot in the paint that eats into the existing paint. I think that’s where people make the mistake.
That's not the issue when the paints are incompatible. Acetone is a powerful solvent that will dissolve a lacquer-based high temp paint underneath. Fortunately, these cases are not too common, but they are out there. When in doubt, do a test first.

I know I have two threads going but I'll keep that one specific to my project. Regarding paint in general, whats a good non-acetone based stove paint product? That would be worth knowing.

Thurmalox is another common stove paint, but it also has acetone in it.

I wonder if the concentrations are different though. Actually the guy mentioned Osburn used to use Thurmalox way back originally but said it's not available anymore.

Opinion of SBI customer service decreasing by the second.

Yes, I suspect that the formulas vary.

Maybe Thurmalox is not sold in Canada any more? Or maybe they let their Amazon accnt. expire?
Amazon product ASIN B096H5LMFK

That's not the issue when the paints are incompatible. Acetone is a powerful solvent that will dissolve a lacquer-based high temp paint underneath. Fortunately, these cases are not too common, but they are out there. When in doubt, do a test first.
Well like I’ve said, I’ve never seen it happen. Hundreds of feet of different brands of pipe and all types of stoves. Almost everyday...

I'm sure the Stove Brite would work fine as you guys have said but I decided to just get the SBI stuff. It was available and takes any guess work out.

Get that Isles crap out of here lol. Tight series tho could go either way!

View attachment 279402
SBI doesn’t make paint, it’s just a rebranded can. Most likely stove bright. Most of the stoves we carry come with a card from stove bright with burn in directions. Blaze King changed a few
Years back though.