Are these the same Fiskars?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteNoob

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Farm and Fleet has the 36" Super Splitting Axe. Amazon shows the X27, as I know it. SSA has an all black handle, and black painted head. X27 looks like, well, an X27. Are these two equal, as in same anti-stick coating, handle quality, etc? Guess I'm just worried that they've been around long enough that cost vs. quality is starting to creep into the equation. I'm fine with just ordering it, as I slightly prefer the X27 looks, anyway. But the wife wants to buy it locally and hand it to me, for Fathers Day. And yes, I know she could do the same thing through Amazon. Try and tell her that, though. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but maybe it will help

The original SSA was 28" long and had a head shape that is slightly different than the X25 and X27. The SSA also weighed a little more (4.25 lbs vs. 4.09 lbs).

I've seen a lot of Fiskars axes over the years that have the orange and black handle and other versions of the same axe with the solid black handle. I've even seen some of the same axes with the solid black handle and the Gerber name (a Fiskars brand).

The coating on my X27 looks a little different than my original SSA, but it has performed just as well.

Farm and Fleet has the 36" Super Splitting Axe. Amazon shows the X27, as I know it. SSA has an all black handle, and black painted head. X27 looks like, well, an X27. Are these two equal, as in same anti-stick coating, handle quality, etc? Guess I'm just worried that they've been around long enough that cost vs. quality is starting to creep into the equation. I'm fine with just ordering it, as I slightly prefer the X27 looks, anyway. But the wife wants to buy it locally and hand it to me, for Fathers Day. And yes, I know she could do the same thing through Amazon. Try and tell her that, though. :rolleyes:

My father in law just bought the SSA at sears. other than weight and handle legnth it seems the same as my X25. Works well for his height.....

from Fiskars site

http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-a...-Axes/X27-Super-Splitting-Axe-36#.U1UWvKKUSSo

http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-a...ing-Tools/Super-Splitting-Axe-36#.U1UW1aKUSSo

I stopped in a Sears over the weekend, it seems FIskars has switched to an all-black design now, with a smooth finish on the handle except for some raised flat ridges near the grip. I've got the x27 and the camp hatchet with the light black and orange design, both were now murdered out.

Thanks, guys.

I just saw the new Fiskars X27 at Walmart this evening. The head really is a much darker black color.

Status
Not open for further replies.