Are Vermont castings stoves really that bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdh9400t

Jan 4, 2016
Ohio
I'm gonna go look at a vc dutchwest this weekend that is used. I see some people really hate them. Are they really that bad? I know to look for gaps, cracks and broken refractory pieces. Just getting a few thoughts. And as much as I would love to I just don't have the cash to swing a new stove.

I don't think folks actually HATE them, it's just that the company has been under at least three different ownerships since the original guys got out of the business & the overall knowledge of the products, maintenance & repair parts has been lost. Fortunately, there are still some knowledgeable folks here in Hearth.com that can instruct you on the use & troubleshooting of the VC units, that should ease your fears. I will also say that if you DO need parts for some of the older models & you CAN find them, the prices have gone up a LOT.

There are a lot of other used stoves out there that will require less money and effort to maintain. my family has had a total of 6 VC stoves over the years. I officially am done. Sold the last of them last summer.
Good luck shopping for a stove.

I'm having a hard time finding anything used that isn't either over priced or in worse shape than mine. At least within a reasonable distance from me. My problem is getting a few friends to take a couple hour trip with me just to look at a stove. The price on this vc seemed ok and he is 5 min from my house. so I thought it may be worth looking at.

VC stoves have a running history of needing frequent repairs to the internal parts. Often they are very pricey repairs or in need of products that are hard to find.

Reactions: brad wilton
Thanks for the link mellow.. And your right. Most stoves I have found under $1000 are rather rough, or are old and not worth that.

Is the Dutchwest a cat or downdraft combustion stove? Their cat stoves aren't too bad if well cared for.

You asked "Are Vermont Castings stoves really that bad?"

Yes.

Lol. Thanks for being honest. I just got news that a local shop that has Lopi and Regency stoves will be having a floor model sale.

I have looked at them online. My problem is that I am very hands on. I have to look at and touch everything before I decide I like it. Unfortunately I havnt found any around me yet.

I have looked at them online. My problem is that I am very hands on. I have to look at and touch everything before I decide I like it. Unfortunately I havnt found any around me yet.

You don't have Home Depot in your area?

Since joining this forum I've observed a very different perspective about VC stoves than I had before. In Japan VC is one of the most popular stove brands, thanks in large part to one man. Paul Kastner is an American who has been living in Japan for decades and he runs a wood stove business, importing VC stoves and has done really well. Of course I only know a handful of people who have purchased stoves thru his company and while they seem to be happy, I think this forum represents a much broader user base and there is a lot of wisdom in these threads based on real life experiences. And the store that I've used most frequently in Japan is in direct competition with Kastner's company and tends to prefer Morso, Jotul and Hearthstone over VC. Specifically they were carrying some used Aspen and Intrepid II stoves for very good prices but were honest in pointing out the shortcomings of those stoves to me. I ended up buying a used Jotul F500 from them and am very happy with it. Later this year I'll be getting a heavily discounted new Morso 2110 from them and can't wait! While VC gets bashed quite a bit around here, and probably with good reason, from what I can tell the newest versions of the Defiant and Encore Flex Burn stoves are really nice. Of course they aren't cheap either.

As a VC owner for 30+ years the important part is exactly which VC stove is being checked. You are asking about a dutchwest and I have no knowledge about that model so can't help on that but the older VCs are excellent. They were made by the original owners and needed only gasket kits changed every few years. That is something every stove needs done regardless of make.

I agree that there are lots of bad VCs out there but don't blast the entire line. As far as cast vs. steel, I would take a cast over steel any day.

Apart from that, I would rather see you buy a new stove on sale than a questionable used stove, unless you are confidant that a used stove you are looking at is good.

I'm gonna go see what stoves are on sale. Might be worth it.
That is a good idea. Lots of really good utilitarian stoves on the market for small bucks. One thing to keep an eye on with the cheaper stoves is to look at the R requirements needed for the hearth. Some are ember protection only and some go as high a 2+ R value required.

I have noticed the requirements on the hearth. I did get a nice 2R for my current stove. It's a cheap stove. Needs more to fix it correctly than I paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.