are you from a family that burned wood or did you start the tradition for your family?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up on a decent sized lot as a kid and my dad always had the uncles over in cooler weather splitting wood and drinking beer. The wood pile was under some trees and they were able to tie me up a killer swing that allowed me to fly off the wood and into the sky. We've also had a cabin in the Adirondack Mts since I was little and the only source of heat up there was the stove (also had to do business in an outhouse, which the ladies loved once I started dating). Nowadays, the two most important features of my home will always be the wood stove when I need to warm the bones inside, and the rocking chairs on the covered porch for a cigar and a bourbon.

Fireplace was a special occasion as a kid -- usually on Sundays. Dad would often grill steaks in the fireplace. So I suppose i started. Though my brother is a backwoodsman in Door County WI and he loves to burn too.

I'm tight as... the bark on a tree, so I have long had an itch to burn firewood in a woodstove. Moved to a new house w/ a smoke dragon and LOVED living the imagery of the hearth -- family gathered and warm. We now have a Lopi w/ a fan (that takes some of the romance away).

I also love the woodstove because it means guilt free heat. I don't quarrel w/ my wife about the thermostat. I can scrounge free heat. I like the idea of being off the grid (I'm not, but this is one step closer). I love to watch the fire. I enjoy splitting -- especially w/ an axe, but I use my neighbors gas splitter most of the time.

Great thread, and great replies.
We never had a firplace when I was a kid. We used to travel for christmas, and stay in a
ski lodge. They had a huge fireplace, and i was mesmerised.

My first apartment was a duplex in a historic twin, the owner didn't want to get the fireplace fixed.
My other apartment had a working fireplace, that was back in 99/2000.
I bought this house with the intention of putting in a woodstove, and did in 2006.
Now this house is for sale, and the stove may be coming out. My next house will have a place fr a stove.

My family never burned wood. They are scared of it, and my mother actually asked,
"did you turn it off?" one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.