As new as it gets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The f500 Oslo is a good stove. New one is V3 been out two years has a catalytic converter. Not something I would want.

The V2 has stainless burn tubes and is a good design. Look really close for cracks in the bottom of the stove near the corners of the ash grate and in the corners.

The V1 has a cast baffle and that design was not as robust as the v2. I’d take v2. Check all door gaskets and replace if needed.

Reactions: Leap
I don't have anything to add other than make sure the stove qualifies for the tax credits being offered as part of the IRA.
A nice 30% discount from Uncle Sam if you can wait until 2023 to buy it
Thanks for that. I thought they were going down but just checked after seeing your post.
The credit in 2023 will be 30% with a cap of $2,000. The efficiency qualification remains the same at 75% or more and it will cover all associated costs of installation, stove pipe, etc.

Thanks for that. I thought they were going down but just checked after seeing your post.
The credit in 2023 will be 30% with a cap of $2,000. The efficiency qualification remains the same at 75% or more and it will cover all associated costs of installation, stove pipe, etc.
23 or 26% this year 2022

But no cap this year...

This is a local VC Defiant Encore that's popped up -- any insights on it? I know, they're just pics...I can't quite tell the age, nor can I see the number stamped on the back wall but it looks like it ends in an "8" -- 1988 perhaps? Does anyone know the model this is so I can do more research? Many, many thanks! and sorry image of the back label is reversed, that is how it looks in the ad...

Oh asking price is $500 if that would sway your opinion :) Much better than 2000!
defiant encore1.jpgdefiant encore2.jpgdefiant encore3.jpgdefiant encore4.jpg

The odds are that the stove will need servicing and possibly part replacements. I would not start out with this.

I hear you, however as it turns out this is being sold by a man who owns a chimney/fireplace/stove service company that is highly rated, he is claiming it’s in great condition…but I understand there are risks down the road, even if it is truly in great shape today.

VC was my first love when we went looking a few years ago, I guess I need to give up the dream haha

Did he say what model number Defiant this is? There are at least 3. Will he certify that the combustion package and catalyst are in very good condition?

They are beautiful stoves so I can appreciate the appeal. We had the original Resolute many moons ago and really liked it. Unfortunately, the modern ones are more complex and have some fragile firebox components that one needs to be aware of.

I'm not sure on the model number but I will be sure to ask. I'll also ask about the combustion package and cat, thanks for the suggestion. I have been communicating over the web but will hopefully speak to him on the phone tomorrow before we (hubs and I) entertain the idea of driving down to check it out (a bit of a trek without some assurance that it's worth looking at).

Do you have any photos of the resolute when it was in operation? Did you switch to something else (and why?) or did you move to another home with a different stove?

Do you have any photos of the resolute when it was in operation? Did you switch to something else (and why?) or did you move to another home with a different stove?
No, that was 1980. In 1984 we moved to a house that had no option for a wood stove at the time.

Oh ok. I bet it was beautiful!

we have another contender— Drolet Columbia II, Evidently only a couple of years old. Looks like it will heat our space but I am worried about the firebox size…but the price is right, and it looks pretty user friendly. Big viewing window and a flat top also.

I vote for the Drolet. You will find very few disparaging comments on Drolet stoves. In comparison.

Thanks @moresnow . It's been difficult to find too many reviews since it's a pretty new stove, however from what I can tell most people love it. I talked to the seller today who also loves it, only getting rid of it because he purchased too small of a stove in fear of cooking the fam out of the house with a larger one (columbia II is rated for 1800sf, he has closer to 3000). Bad reviews include ill-fitting doors, although that's rare and seem to be a factory defect that the sellers are prompt to fix, and the firebox being too small. It is 1.9 cubic feet which sounds like enough, but what I'm reading is it's not crazy deep, only 13" or so front to back inside. A couple people have complained they can't get a decent log in, however that is not the experience across the board and far and wide people seem to love it.

We're going to try and check it out on Friday if the stars align. Hopefully it will be a good fit and we can start construction! We've been a bit apprehensive since we weren't entirely sure what stove would go in. Regardless, I think we're going to overbuild the hearth in case we switch it out in the future. The Drolet has pretty low clearances for example, but we'll make a larger hearth "just in case". I also like that we could potentially get the tax credit this year, and if we switch to a lower, non-epa cert model down the line (something used, presumably), we'll at least have taken the credit for the initial install. 👍

Possibly consider a Drolet model that can accept north/south loading. You will appreciate it.

Oh ok. I bet it was beautiful!

we have another contender— Drolet Columbia II, Evidently only a couple of years old. Looks like it will heat our space but I am worried about the firebox size…but the price is right, and it looks pretty user friendly. Big viewing window and a flat top also.
The Columbia is a medium-sized, 2 cu ft stove. What are the price and condition of the stove? If it's been well treated and the price is below $800, then it could be a good deal.

@begreen supposedly it's in excellent condition, only used for a season, asking price is $900

Is it a Columbia II model or the original Columbia?

Brand new it's only $1199 ordered directly from Drolet or Home Depot, so that is not a lot of savings. Maybe offer $750 and compromise at $800, but again, only if it really is in very good condition, especially if it is the original Columbia.

Did he supply pictures of the outside and inside of the firebox?

Agreed, I'll likely negotiate on price and hope to get to the $700-$800 range. I think if I can get it $800 or below that will certainly be helpful toward the other things we still need to get (read: pipes!)

sorry didn't see your question; it's the columbia II

sorry didn't see your question; it's the columbia II
Good luck! I think you will be happy with this stove.

We are in a 1500 sq ft ranch, with 1500 sq ft partially finished basement and I chose the Hearthstone Heritage 8024 (soapstone/cast iron EPA hybrid cat stove) for a corner install in our living room 2 years ago. The stove's dimensions/specs are right in line with your desired requirements. We started from scratch as well. So far, I could not be more thrilled with this stove. Soapstone isn't for everyone, but I like the slower climb in temp and the slow cooldown after embers no longer glow. Here's photos of our start to finish. We constructed a true size model out of wood initially, then played around with the layout in various locations in the living room. I loved the corner layout. We could have gone with a thin manufactured hearthpad for under this stove, but I decided on actual stone. The wall behind the stove is manufactured stone. We could have chosen to not put that in too.

View attachment 303086
Beautiful set-up and the puppy basking on her back is hysterical!

To update...we have plans to go check out a quadra-fire explorer II...It looks great in the photos externally but no pics of the interior. I am told it was removed when the owners moved out and it's been in storage, but in excellent working order and only a few years old. Asking 2000, I am prepared to negotiate, maybe end up somewhere between 1500 and their asking price if all looks good. I am of course looking for more opinions but people seem to really enjoy this stove, plus the fire box is even larger than the drolet we were considering. What really appeals to me is the larger viewing window and larger top (as I intend to experiment with cooking). Quite a bit more expensive though....worth it at, say, $1700 if it's in good shape?

What happened with the Columbia II?
The Explorer II is a very nice stove, but the asking price is close to what it sold for new. Considering it's a discontinued stove they should be selling it at about 50% less than new price.

I’m not sure on the columbia, I Messaged the seller with an offer and never heard back. Typically I would do negotiations in person, but as it turns out the stove is further for me than I realized, almost 2.5 hours so I wanted to make sure we could work something out before we get all the way out there…plus considering a new one isn’t much more (and free delivery!), and considering gas to go pick up the used one, didn’t think it’s worth it at $900.

Regarding the Explorer II, seller says she paid over $3000 for it new. The other appealing factor here is she’s local (the seller) and we happen to be part of the same homeschool group, although I haven’t met her but we have mutual friends, so I feel like she’d be less likely to lie about aspects of the sale…or maybe I’m just hopeful lol

The other factor is we just really, really like the look of the explorer. My thought is this piece will be a main focus in our living space Year ‘round and needs to look good when it’s not burning wood. The drolet doesn’t do it for me in that regard.