Ash bin empty but the firebox is loaded

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
halfpipe said:
Generally speaking why is there way more ash in the firebox than the ash bin after burning a bag?
thanks

Wow... not sure what you mean.
My bin collects the ash.... but it's in the firebox (right below).

Someone is going to ask real soon,
What stove do have?
Guess I just did..

This is a great site and you'll get good advise, just give them as much info as possible.
You'll probably connect with someone that has the same stove (or same issue).

i've only had my stove about a week. but i think what happens is you get two kinds of ash. the fly ash which is lighter and fluffier and appears to be a greater amount but might actually weigh less than the other ash.
that ash rises and collects in the firebox and goes up the venting.
then you have the heavier residue that falls through the bottom of the burn pot to the ash pan.

i might not have it exactly. but that appears to be what's going on to my eyes.

Depends on the stove model. Some Quads have an ash pan that is just for burn pot cleanout. My Quad has open sides and my ash goes on either side of the.pot into the pan and.my cleanout ash also goes in there.

Fly ash will accumulate Everywhere. Even your vent will have A LOT of ash in it. This also depends on the model of stove.

So lile states above. What stove do you have? Ash will not just go in your pan. On some models, very little to none will go in there.

Add your stove to your signatire line for better help. Go to Your Control Panel at the top of the screen here. Click on it and then click Edit Signature on the left hand column. Add your stove and anyother hearth related items (pellets, UPS, name, etc) Helps when you have a specific question. Also if you edit your original post and add your stove in the title. You will get more users with that model. IMHO.

halfpipe said:
Generally speaking why is there way more ash in the firebox than the ash bin after burning a bag?
thanks

For the most part, only the heavier pieces of ash make their way to the ash pan. As mentioned above, the "fly ash" (the real lightweight stuff) gets blown out of the burn pot, and lands on the interior of the firebox and in the ash traps, combustion blower, exhaust pipe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.