Ash nearly ready???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Ash nearly ready???
This has been cut and stacked about 3 months, I didn't cut on my land and am not familar with it. Is it white ash. Anyway am having a good season with my new stove with marginal wood, with the help of this site. Thanks, Maybe I can get this down to 20% this season.

Thanks

Attachments

• Ash nearly ready???
    SDC10119.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 285
  • Ash nearly ready???
    SDC10120.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Ash nearly ready???
    SDC10121.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 279
That looks like ash alright.
Maybe by season's end you'll get it down below 20?? Just see how the stove responds with it.

Is that stove green?

Yes Green and under a flash it really comes out other words it usually looks Black'

Hard to tell for sure with the pictures but surely looks like ash. You can probably burn it okay but it won't be ideal.

I'd say it's Ash and looks the same as what I got last spring.. Seasoned in the sun and wind all summer and it burns great! Very nice looking stove too!

Ray

frame that picture, it won't be long and getting a load of ash like that in my neck of the woods will be impossible once the emerald ash borer does what it does.

You already know that this is not the ideal for seasoning wood. Do what you have to to burn the driest wood available this winter and keep a close eye on the chimney sweeping it frequently.

If you buy wood, buy it NOW so that it is ready for next year and you won't even need that moisture meter.

pen

Random thoughts . . .

As Pen says . . . get wood now for next year and you'll be a very, very happy person.

If you do have problems burning the marginal wood as you no doubt know pallets and dimension lumber are good for helping to get the fire up to temp.

Love the stove . . . and I really like the hearth. Very pretty.

I assume you know to split the wood before testing the wood . . . I think you've been around long enough that you know so . . . newbies might not know this though.

Ash . . . I love a good piece of ash . . . one of my favorite woods . . . if it's burning good this winter just wait until you burn some of this wood you have now next winter -- the difference is notable.

Oh yes I have lots of wood for next season just trying to get by this first season. And yes I had just split about 3 pieces and they all read about the same. The stove is doing a good job keeping house warm, the tiles are soapstone , and yes they hold heat very well. Not getting secondary burns as good as described on this site, but am sure that is because of my wood, I am mixing oak below 20%, and pallet wood with Oak 25-30%. I am semi-retired so have lots of time to spend with ny stove.

I haven't burned any of the Ash yet, just checked to see how it was doing (surprice) Its stacked in great spot for wind and sun.

Thanks All

Status
Not open for further replies.