Ash pan plug taking in air!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chriscarson

Nov 16, 2012
Hey everyone and suggestions on sealing up the plug on the bottom of the stove for emptying out ash? Usually I have ash over the plug which works sometimes but other times like now it must be taking in air, the stove is just a big ball of orange inside which is nice and warm but there’s air getting in. My gasket is good, I done a check on that earlier.
Osburn 2000 free standing wood stove.

There is a cast iron plug in there already. It just seems that it’s not a tight fit it’s sloppy

Possibly take a file and go around the edges of the plug and the 'hole' in the bottom of the stove? Maybe something warped a bit or you got a small burr on one piece of metal or the other, keeping the plug from making a good seal?

My old dragon has an 'ash drawer' but no plug in the actual stove - just a steel grate in the bottom. I bumped the corner of the drawer on the ground and a little dimple of metal held it open a tiny fraction of an inch...Talk about some HOT burnin'! I filed the burr and got things back to 'normal' but it would still pull some air during the very cold / high draft days. Ultimately I used some high temp silicone and installed some 3/8" flat graphite gasket material around the drawer. Now it's pretty air-tight.

Reactions: chriscarson
This could be a piece of charcoal or clinker is caught there and preventing the trap door to close tightly. Inspect carefully when the fire cools down.

Reactions: chriscarson