Ash Score thanks to ACOE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IowaRSFBurner

Dec 27, 2017
Pella, Iowa
Thanks to the local Army Core of Engineers and the EAB, I went and cut a load today. Didn’t even make a dent in what was there and there are a couple more sites like this one with piles of logs. Just need a permit to cut, free this year. Seems like nobody around burns wood. Lots of houses with chimneys but no evidence of burning.

Attachments

• 756290E5-A99A-449E-8CC1-D6335F037FC0.jpeg
    756290E5-A99A-449E-8CC1-D6335F037FC0.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 276
  • A200A8C6-BCBE-42E2-8D17-4F04D7B83993.jpeg
    A200A8C6-BCBE-42E2-8D17-4F04D7B83993.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 874627ED-617E-4071-8BB0-1B0785EAE31A.jpeg
    874627ED-617E-4071-8BB0-1B0785EAE31A.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 287
You struck gold my friend!

Reactions: IowaRSFBurner
Good Lord! I wish I had access to wood like that, where you can just drive up to it and crank up the Husqvarna.
I would be tearing that wood pile up.

Lucky you.

I thought all y'all had in Iowa was corn fields.

I need to go back with the heavy artillery, one to dually with dump trailer and log splitter. It was definitely a good morning.

There are a few areas that have standing trees that the farmers haven't cut down. These were all taken out of campgrounds at Lake Red Rock.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
There are a few areas that have standing trees that the farmers haven't cut down. These were all taken out of campgrounds at Lake Red Rock.

The EAB threat has been both a curse and a blessing around here. Ash is cheap if you can find it before they chip it all up. I stockpiled quite a bit from Indianola a few years back, and it’s time for more.

Reactions: IowaRSFBurner
Holy Kamoly, you're set for life! You'll be a fossil or a petroleum deposit before that ever runs out! _g

A friend of mine his parents had about 150 ash trees cleared from their property last year. I ended up with almost all of it. It is a shame they are all dying but it makes for good easy firewood.

I love ash, even if it's not the highest BTU wood out there. I'd say it's my favorite wood I can regularly get around here. Seasons quickly though I still like to have 2 years on it, and it coals up well in the stove during overnight burns.
It's a great, great all-around wood. BTU just a notch below Red Oak, dries quicker, splits easy, no rotty sapwood etc. They are starting to go here, and when they are gone I will be a sad man. :(

I've been burning mostly ash ever since I started. Sure it may not burn as long as oak and hickory but its done a great job and kept my house warm in the coldest temps I've seen since living there. Working on getting a couple more guys so we can process more of it. Also had a friend cut done 3 of his 5 dead ash trees that's all mine. I've got some work to do in the coming weeks.