Ash seasons quickly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
So I recently scored a ton of what I thought was red oak but am being told it is ash. I was also told that I can burn it right away since ash seasons quickly. That stuff won't be in my stove until at least next season, but is there any truth to that?

We had a couple of Ash taken down not long ago....it was not in the best of health. It's been split and stacked about 2 months, it's still a little higher on moisture than I like (18-22%) on a fresh split, but we let it sit next to the stove for a couple hours before throwing it in, and it's burning okay.

If it was dead standing it should be pretty decent by next winter but great the following winter. If it was live it won't be as dry, obviously...
I just cut up a dead-stander that fell down. Lots of the smaller branches gone and the bark is loose in spots. Still metering out to 24% and I'm hoping it can get down to <18% by fall, I don't know.

If you're in a hurry for wood, make the splits smaller. With sun and wind the smaller splits should be ready next fall.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
what seasons faster......................silver maple or ash
Red Maple seasons faster than Ash or Cherry in my experience (limited) so I would assume Silver does too. I just scored some Silver so I'm about to find out...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
So I recently scored a ton of what I thought was red oak but am being told it is ash. I was also told that I can burn it right away since ash seasons quickly. That stuff won't be in my stove until at least next season, but is there any truth to that?

Geeze Rudy, I keep hearing that same crap over and over and over no matter where I go. My guess is at some time somebody made that statement and all the lazy people latched onto it. After all, now they won't have to cut wood until it is needed. Sorry, but that is how many still do it.

But to answer your question, no. There is no truth to it. Ash is indeed one of the lowest moisture woods that we can choose from but it is still too high moisture to burn right away. Best I'd do would be a year but we are very fortunate here in that we can leave it 3 years or more in the stack. It really burns nicely then! Oh, and by the way, we have not cleaned our chimney for 4 years now. There is no need. Why? It is from burning that great dry firewood. Most of it has been ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.