Ash tray Empty or leave ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Logger we are on the same page I do the same thing , I use the path (tunnel of love) also sometimes to let the doghouse air flow all the way to the back. Nice technique.

After pushing the ash back against the back wall I then rake the hot coals forward to get them up to the front of the stove near the incoming air. My dog house air is up front front and center at coal bed level. When raking the coals forwrd to the front try and leave the finerstuff to the back this leaves more air gaps between all the pieces of hot coals to let air flow thru them. If the fine ash is pulled forward it packs between the hot coals and downt allow as muc hair to flow thru the coals.

gotcha

@begreen is never gonna live down the fact that he was the first to coin the term "tunnel of love" ;lol (in reference to stove use).

Last edited:
Wow!...just imagine if you'd left the ashes in!
;lol Witty. However, my point was, pan empty vs. full makes zero difference, if your ash pan door gasket is working. The pan is isolated from the firebox envelope by the 2" layer of ash insulating the floor of the firebox, and zero air should flow thru the pan chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.