Ashford 30.1 smoke smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If the flue-to-stove fitting is leaking you will not smell any smoke at that point because it is in a negative. The stove's firebox is not in a strong enough negative to overcome the creosote lateral creep. A very small leak at that joint (or any joint) will "spoil" or greatly reduce the total draw resulting in the "smoke smell" effect.

At any point in the burn, can you extinguish the flames by closing the thermostat?
I can say yes with about 95 percent certainty. If it's full throttle firebox full of flame and I shut the thermostat, it's take a couple minutes to lose all flame I feel. Otherwise, yes, it'd be pretty quick to snuff completely out and ride like a champ for hours and hours...why?

Just a thought. If your brother is motivated. Get you two together. Unplug your stove and hustle it over to his place. Plug it in. Add far. Grab two cocktails and get scientific:). Engage sniffer. Be a good check for him and you.
There's an idea!

To verify the stove has no unseen air leaks like from around the ash plug. It looks like you are good.

Mine had a gap going all the way around so I stuffed it full of stove rope. It fits tightly and seals.

Do i have to use the stove adapter or can i attach my telescoping double wall pipe right to the stove?

On my princess with duravent double wall I had to use an appliance adapter at the stove to make a nice tight seal. Some stoves, like my hearthstone heritage worked superbly without the adapter. You would think that this would be standardized in the industry but no.

Also, be sure to clean off any blobs of weld or weld spatter in the stove collar that would prevent the tapered stove pipe snout from making a nice seal.

On my princess with duravent double wall I had to use an appliance adapter at the stove to make a nice tight seal. Some stoves, like my hearthstone heritage worked superbly without the adapter. You would think that this would be standardized in the industry but no.

Also, be sure to clean off any blobs of weld or weld spatter in the stove collar that would prevent the tapered stove pipe snout from making a nice seal.
This would need to be another service call to the wood stove guy. This is the next step for me in the journey to be smoke smell free!