Ashford 30 -2 months old door hinge smoke smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
the Ashford has a fatal flaw that may not be shared with the King or Princess: the cats seem to clog with ash when the stove is run on higher settings
Well, I wouldn't call it 'fatal.' How about getting a piece of Iconel or other high-temp screen and fashion a shield you can put in front of the cat intake? The screen on my stove catches quite a bit of ash before it gets to the cat, and you can easily brush it off when the stove is out.
Input is valuable and "fanboys" of the product being discussed should contribute if they have something positive to contribute. If you are a "fanboy" of another company, great but again, contribute only if it specifically addresses the issue...we just need threads to stay on track.
Whoa, easy, Ranger! It was the OP who asked a question about "what is the best stove to get with the priority being long burn rates and something that is really well engineered?" At first I gave a generic response that "there's no stove that's all things to all people....no perfect stoves, blah blah." Then, here they come with the "long burn time" pitch again, after several owners in this thread said they can't burn real low without some smoke smell. In other threads, issues have been raised such as crashed cats or gunked chimneys with too-low burn rates. OK, they can burn pretty long with even a medium air setting...that's great. But what about the "engineering" that the OP asked about? Somehow, that never gets mentioned. I realize my tongue-in-cheek rant parody is taken too seriously by some here, and I understand that it may not translate well on the internet. That's one of my shortcomings, I guess. But I still think it's kinda funny sometimes. ==c
I need a drink.
Not surprising. Might be wise to lay in at least a case o' the good stuff. ;)
Let's get back on topic with the OP's issue.
Yeah, I don't really understand what happened. The OP was sailing along with the new (non-OEM) flat gasket in there, no smoke smell and the next thing we know he's in private communication with BKVP, with no explanation of what they are going to try, and how they expect it will address the problem. I just don't see how the smoke is getting out of the stove, with the draft he's got. I'd like to know how tall that chimney is? I'll be watching to see what happens with this...hope it doesn't just disappear with no answers, like some of my questions do.

Well, I wouldn't call it 'fatal.' How about getting a piece of Iconel or other high-temp screen and fashion a shield you can put in front of the cat intake? The screen on my stove catches quite a bit of ash before it gets to the cat, and you can easily brush it off when the stove is out.
Whoa, easy, Ranger! It was the OP who asked a question about "what is the best stove to get with the priority being long burn rates and something that is really well engineered?" At first I gave a generic response that "there's no stove that's all things to all people....no perfect stoves, blah blah." Then, here they come with the "long burn time" pitch again, after several owners in this thread said they can't burn real low without some smoke smell. In other threads, issues have been raised such as crashed cats or gunked chimneys with too-low burn rates. OK, they can burn pretty long with even a medium air setting...that's great. But what about the "engineering" that the OP asked about? Somehow, that never gets mentioned. I realize my tongue-in-cheek rant parody is taken too seriously by some here, and I understand that it may not translate well on the internet. That's one of my shortcomings, I guess. But I still think it's kinda funny sometimes. ==c
Yeah, I don't really understand what happened. The OP was sailing along with the new (non-OEM) flat gasket in there, no smoke smell and the next thing we know he's in private communication with BKVP, with no explanation of what they are going to try, and how they expect it will address the problem. I just don't see how the smoke is getting out of the stove, with the draft he's got. I'd like to know how tall that chimney is? I'll be watching to see what happens with this...hope it doesn't just disappear with no answers, like some of my questions do.
A screen over the flame shield is not a good idea I don't think. It would clog very easily and mess with the burn.
For the most part, the vast majority of BKs owners can run the stove on low with no issues. Some experience issues in warmer weather, when draft is reduced. Or when the air is reduced too quickly, it's for a very brief amount of time. I Also think that some of these people are hyper sensitive to the smell, while it wouldn't be noticed by others. Remember, This "issue" is only a few per 10,000.. or so.

Reactions: rdust
You know Woody....nevermind it won't do me any good.

I Also think that some of these people are hyper sensitive to the smell, while it wouldn't be noticed by others.

I have a similar take on it. I get a feeling the Ashford since it's a "nicer" looking stove is ending up in "fancier" homes with a different kind of user. My stove had some stink before I swapped a 90 for 2 45's and then pretty much went away when I fixed the flue collar this year. You had to darn near burn your nose on the stove to smell it, my wife would look at me crazy when I tried to smell it.

If it's a smell that you can smell when enter the room it's a problem. If you have to put your nose to the stove and then maybe smell something it's probably nothing to worry about.

I have a similar take on it. I get a feeling the Ashford since it's a "nicer" looking stove is ending up in "fancier" homes with a different kind of user. My stove had some stink before I swapped a 90 for 2 45's and then pretty much went away when I fixed the flue collar this year. You had to darn near burn your nose on the stove to smell it, my wife would look at me crazy when I tried to smell it.

If it's a smell that you can smell when enter the room it's a problem. If you have to put your nose to the stove and then maybe smell something it's probably nothing to worry about.
My German Shorthair passed away years ago and I have yet to replace her....how are you on pheasants and Hungarian partridge?

Reactions: Highbeam and Ashful

I also think the flue collar connection is overlooked, like it is on most stoves. All these double wall pipe manufacturers don't really make a good way to make a secure connection on the stovetop. This part is omitted from the installation instructions. They offer a stovetop adaptor, that fits like crap on most stoves. It's pretty bad when the pipe fits the stove better without the adaptor! We have a way to make a nearly airtight fit, it's not conventional, but after years of trying to make these connections work out it became appartant that a fix was needed, unconventional or not.

Yep BK is working on a solution and we should know by this time next week if it will work. I'm pretty happy about the job they have done coming up with what should be a fix. I'll report back with a update late next week.

The chimney is a 6" supervent with 21' of rise with the high flow deluxe cap, no screen. Draft isn't the issue, in fact I have a damper I'm going to install when I shut the stove down to install the BK parts next week.

Today it was unseasonably warm (55f) and the chimney draft was .05 running on low after a 16 hour burn. When it gets to 0f draft is .15, so for those conditions we should damper it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Woody Stover
I also think the flue collar connection is overlooked, like it is on most stoves. All these double wall pipe manufacturers don't really make a good way to make a secure connection on the stovetop. This part is omitted from the installation instructions. They offer a stovetop adaptor, that fits like crap on most stoves. It's pretty bad when the pipe fits the stove better without the adaptor! We have a way to make a nearly airtight fit, it's not conventional, but after years of trying to make these connections work out it became appartant that a fix was needed, unconventional or not.

I think maybe the manufacturers should also make their flur collar a bit longer also so it goes inside the double wall pipe batter and deaper. I know its more metal on the manufacturer side. I dunno just a thought.

A screen over the flame shield is not a good idea I don't think. It would clog very easily and mess with the burn.
I Also think that some of these people are hyper sensitive to the smell, while it wouldn't be noticed by others. Remember, This "issue" is only a few per 10,000.. or so.
We don't really know. How many just figure "That's just the way it is if you burn wood." How many give up and sell the stove?
As far as the screen, yeah it will plug up but it would be easy to either take out, or just brush it off without removing it. It's probably going to slow down the flow a bit, but the thermostat setting should compensate for that I'd think, if you have good draft. Blowing the cat out with compressed air in your living room isn't too appealing...
You know Woody....nevermind it won't do any good.
Yeah, probably not. :( Next time you go bird hunting , just say to yourself "There's that bird-brain Woody!" Kapow! When the dog brings it, tell him "Go ahead and eat that one." ;lol
I get a feeling the Ashford since it's a "nicer" looking stove is ending up in "fancier" homes with a different kind of user.
pretty much went away when I fixed the flue collar this year. You had to darn near burn your nose on the stove to smell it....If it's a smell that you can smell when enter the room it's a problem.
Yeah, this stove thing isn't for the genteel class; The dealer ain't always gonna fix you up, so sometimes ya gotta roll up your sleeves, get in there, and deal with something. I had air leaking in a vertical seam on the Ks from day one. When it got bad enough, I finally had to go in and patch it. With the Buck, I had to do a minor tweak on the air plates to tighten 'er up. Comes with the territory.
Heck, I occasionally get a faint creo smell on start-up. I guess it's creo burning off as I ramp up to temp. But it doesn't happen much, and I have to stick my nose right down to the top of the stove to smell it. I guess it's the gasket on the plate covering the top flue opening. Never done any gaskets on the stove yet so I'm probably due. But since I don't smell it in the house, I haven't been too concerned.
I also think the flue collar connection is overlooked....We have a way to make a nearly airtight fit, it's not conventional,
Well?? What do we hafta do, hire you and watch just to find out your secret? ==c Does it involve some type of gasket?

Last edited:
Woodstock tried the iconel screen on the progress hybrid, it just meant cleaning two things instead of one, I took mine off and the cat doesn't clog any quicker and I don't have to mess with screen to clean it anymore.

The stove I run on high also happens to be on the tall chimney. One might assume chimney height is a factor in this, and it may be, but I never experienced a plugged cat on this stove when I was running it on lower settings. It plugged after a few days running at higher burn rates, but was it a spontaneous problem, or accumulation from months of running low?
It's an issue with the steel cat.
I have suspected ash from shoveling is being pulled into the cat on ones with excessive draft, even though the bypass is open.
tried the iconel screen on the progress hybrid, it just meant cleaning two things instead of one, I took mine off and the cat doesn't clog any quicker and I don't have to mess with screen to clean it anymore.
OK, well how tall is your chimney? Obviously, if you have the grate, you're not shoveling and stirring up ash dust. How high do you run the air? How often do you have to clean the cat? How hard is it to get out, since you can't just lift the lid?
Let's get back on topic with the OP's issue.
we just need threads to stay on track. I know you agree.
Sorry, no can do; We have a week to kill before we get any action in this thread. ;lol

Keep us updated . I need to place an order for a stove next week now considering princess over ashford
Season appears to be about over...you've got time. Got plenty of dry wood already? ==c

If you could find a moment could you post a new thread on successful double-wall stove pipe adapter/stove flue collar combinations. That would be helpful.

If you could find a moment could you post a new thread on successful double-wall stove pipe adapter/stove flue collar combinations. That would be helpful.
Ohh, I don't know. So many people are quick to be critical of anything unconventional...

Go for it.

Ohh, I don't know. So many people are quick to be critical of anything unconventional...

Well that is life. Not much can be done about it. But it is true that those collar adapters need some attention. After all you will be helping and contributing in a positive way and many can benefit of it. I don't see any harm.

I'm all ears too but given the pressure drop is the greatest in the entire chimney system right at the stove collar I just doubt smoke would escape there, but......

I'm all ears too but given the pressure drop is the greatest in the entire chimney system right at the stove collar I just doubt smoke would escape there, but......

For me that is the weakest spot with every install that I did. I return one cause it didn't seal at all after I burnt a few times and I was getting smell but not smoke

Aha, his secret is out! ==c
I think this method resolves a lot of issues. Like the fact that every joint needs 3 screws but every double wall pipe manufacturer ignores this fact! And sloppy stovetop adapters leak smoke! All credit must go to @sticks , he came up with this idea. After what? 30 years of battling it out on your own you figured this out?

Wow. That's top customer service IMO.