Ashford 30 Smoke Smell, again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For those that are still looking at improving the smoke smell issue, have anyone tried with below 15% humidity and did you saw a decrease in the smell?
I'm burning pine that's 13-14% moisture and we still get a creosote smell. Again only burning on really low and again a lot less now that is replaced the door gasket. It's been pretty cold so have not run on low a lot this year. For.me new door gasket fixed it 90% is say. And like previously posted I'm due for a door adjustment. That might address it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Is Calentarse the only one having this problem? Just started reading this thread, gotta head to work and will get into it better later on today

Is Calentarse the only one having this problem? Just started reading this thread, gotta head to work and will get into it better later on today

No. There are about a half dozen folks with this issue. BK is working on it.

I have also been able to produce it, and make it go away, by just changing from dry to wet wood on one of my stoves. It seems to be a combination of factors, though... if it were as simple as wet wood, both of my stoves could make the smell, and many more would have the same problems.

For me I consider the issue resolved still... with the gasket. I need to adjust my door first warm spell it's getting done. The other thing I did is change where the gasket ends join it was ending in the top left and now it's in the bottom right. My nose always detected the smell in the upper left.

Long time problem with the ashford, or did this just pop up recently?

Well, I have been reluctant to post my fix as I'm sure it won't impress a few people... mine was pretty cut and dry once I found the issue.

So, my first sirocco 30.1 had a blatant missed weld that immediately caused leaking creosote and was replaced by BK. Problem solved right? nope. While the odor was less apparent on the second stove it was still present to some degree. I assumed this must be wood burning and I felt bad already so "live with it" or don't burn is what I thought.

I replaced my door gasket with the high density white one in a attempt to fix it. It helped, but on high, hot burns (like when cleaning the window) or when throttling up the stove there was a very clear smoke odor. And I mean clear, not "is it the paint curing" or "maybe there was some smoke spillage the last re-load" type smell. Enough my neighbor would try and find my issue every time he came over...

I hadn't burned the stove since the cold spell in the end of Dec start of Jan as the odor was getting to me a little. We went to whitefish Montana and stayed in a log cabin two weeks ago with a wood stove, I cringed when others wanted to light it.... As I lighted it I noticed the split doors, top door, side door etc.... "ughhhhh this thing is going to smoke up in here terribly" I figured.... Not a hint of smoke. Not once, ever. I realized I wasn't being too picky and I do indeed have a issue at home with my stove.

So when I got home the investigation started, these things aren't Rocket appliances' (Ricky'ism :p ). Here's what I ened up finding after combing it over with a flashlight and fine tooth comb.

IMG_7613.JPG IMG_7617.JPG

The corners rely on 100% weld penetration to seal the stove. the front and rear plates extend past the side plates about 1" on each side. BK welds the entire side plate perimeter, and the front and rear plates top (external) and bottom (internal). This leave the back side of the front and rear plates un-welded for about 1".

IMG_7615.JPG

Not a big deal right? its external right? You have left the thickness of the front and rear plate material non-welded. Sure its only the fit up gap but clearly from the creosote in all 4 top corners of my stove shows this. The green line is where I welded to fix my smoke smell issue in all 4 top corners and bottom corners.

IMG_7638.JPG IMG_7637.JPG

The red arrows represent the 4 corners that had visible creosote leaking. The green arrows are corners that have the same weld issue but showed no leakage.

I ended up dragging in my welder and buzzed a 1" bead in the 8 corners after covering all the floors, other surfaces, removing paint ect.

after painting it back up and no other changes I ran her with ZERO smell :), then, the next morning, I ran a full load on high for 3-4 hrs..... zero smell. I then climbed up on the roof, and removed the 4' of extra class A I put on (looks so stupid sticking out of my roof 8') and ran the stove on high and low.... Zero smell.

I'm back to only ~15.5' total chimney, I put the screens back on my chimney cap, I've ran it a week high and low..... with absolutely zero odor. :) And I mean zero. None, zip zero.

Sure I welded on it, sure I probably fawked any warranty but I could care less. It leaked before and now it doesn't.

End of story.... check these corners for any creosote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have been reluctant to post my fix as I'm sure it won't impress a few people... mine was pretty cut and dry once I found the issue.

So, my first sirocco 30.1 had a blatant missed weld that immediately caused leaking creosote and was replaced by BK. Problem solved right? nope. While the odor was less apparent on the second stove it was still present to some degree. I assumed this must be wood burning and I felt bad already so "live with it" or don't burn is what I thought.

I replaced my door gasket with the high density white one in a attempt to fix it. It helped, but on high, hot burns (like when cleaning the window) or when throttling up the stove there was a very clear smoke odor. And I mean clear, not "is it the paint curing" or "maybe there was some smoke spillage the last re-load" type smell. Enough my neighbor would try and find my issue every time he came over...

I hadn't burned the stove since the cold spell in the end of Dec start of Jan as the odor was getting to me a little. We went to whitefish Montana and stayed in a log cabin two weeks ago with a wood stove, I cringed when others wanted to light it.... As I lighted it I noticed the split doors, top door, side door etc.... "ughhhhh this thing is going to smoke up in here terribly" I figured.... Not a hint of smoke. Not once, ever. I realized I wasn't being too picky and I do indeed have a issue at home with my stove.

So when I got home the investigation started, these things aren't Rocket appliances' (Ricky'ism :p ). Here's what I ened up finding after combing it over with a flashlight and fine tooth comb.

View attachment 222045

View attachment 222046

The corners rely on 100% weld penetration to seal the stove. the front and rear plates extend past the side plates about 1" on each side. BK welds the entire side plate perimeter, and the front and rear plates top (external) and bottom (internal). This leave the back side of the front and rear plates un-welded for about 1".

View attachment 222047

Not a big deal right? its external right? You have left the thickness of the front and rear plate material non-welded. Sure its only the fit up gap but clearly from the creosote in all 4 top corners of my stove shows this. The green line is where I welded to fix my smoke smell issue in all 4 top corners and bottom corners.

View attachment 222050 View attachment 222049

The red arrows represent the 4 corners that had visible creosote leaking. The green arrows are corners that have the same weld issue but showed no leakage.

I ended up dragging in my welder and buzzed a 1" bead in the 8 corners after covering all the floors, other surfaces, removing paint ect.

after painting it back up and no other changes I ran her with ZERO smell :), then, the next morning, I ran a full load on high for 3-4 hrs..... zero smell. I then climbed up on the roof, and removed the 6' of extra class A I put on (looks so stupid sticking out of my roof 10') and ran the stove on high and low.... Zero smell.

I'm back to only ~15.5' total chimney, I put the screens back on my chimney cap, I've ran it a week high and low..... with absolutely zero odor. :) And I mean zero. None, zip zero.

Sure I welded on it, sure I probably fawked any warranty but I could care less. It leaked before and now it doesn't.

End of story.... check these corners for any creosote?

Great job man, I'm exactly like you, I don't have the time to deal with the hassle and aggravation that's involved with warrantys. If you can fix it yourself do it.

Reactions: Woody Stover
A

View attachment 222045

View attachment 222046

View attachment 222047

View attachment 222050 View attachment 222049

after painting it back up and no other changes I ran her with ZERO smell :), then, the next morning, I ran a full load on high for 3-4 hrs..... zero smell. I then climbed up on the roof, and removed the 4' of extra class A I put on (looks so stupid sticking out of my roof 8') and ran the stove on high and low.... Zero smell.

End of story.... check these corners for any creosote.

Are you f’n kidding us? Your second stove ALSO had missed welds leaking liquid creo from the firebox? OMG!

Reactions: MissMac and coutufr
Ok, time for Mr BKVP guy to respond. This is going to get interesting

To be honest I wasn't sure if it would fix it when I welded as the creosote was very minimal in the corners. I just thought it could only help... But, it did solve it. Its been over a week burning in everything from -20C to +7C.

Its not a missed weld IMO, is a intentional joint that relies on 100% weld fusion... unfortunately that's hard with MIG at production speeds.

If that is the situation, there is no excuse for something like that regardless.

Reactions: coutufr and Mark8
To be honest I wasn't sure if it would fix it when I welded as the creosote was very minimal in the corners. I just thought it could only help... But, it did solve it. Its been over a week burning in everything from -20C to +7C.

Its not a missed weld IMO, is a intentional joint that relies on 100% weld fusion... unfortunately that's hard with MIG at production speeds.

If it’s leaking then the weld was missed or failed. The only difference is in how bk stops it in the future.

I can already hear panels being pulled off of the stinky 30 boxes as owners inspect for leakage. I’ll be looking at my princess tonight!

I'll check mine when I get home I think my side shields are in the way if I can look without removing them I'll report back

Not saying its a fix for everyone- but question.

I HAVE welded before, but no where near calling myself a welder- if repairs are needed, would it have to be removed, or can a pro welder who can get a portable machine close enough (maybe in through a window) do it on the hearth?

Not saying its a fix for everyone- but question.

I HAVE welded before, but no where near calling myself a welder- if repairs are needed, would it have to be removed, or can a pro welder who can get a portable machine close enough (maybe in through a window) do it on the hearth?

Pro welders can do their thing anywhere. I’ve had them weld overhead inside a small bilge compartment inside a barge.

They have long leads on their tools so the actual welder can stay outside. Modern buzz boxes can be the size of a suitcase and are easily carried.

They have blankets to protect the hearth and floor. I would worry more about the spray paint.

Great info, @Ignerence. Can we hope all of these cases are so simple? I’ll be pulling the side panels off one of my Ashfords tonight.

Ok, time for Mr BKVP guy to respond. This is going to get interesting

Not necessarily. Chris is a professional, I'm sure he will address this as he does everything else on here (remarkably so). But, I don't expect him to say much till he does some of his own research on this particular fix. Not prudent to say much yet, and we shouldn't fault him in that either. Its smart and good business.

Reactions: Marshy and aaronk25
Not necessarily. Chris is a professional, I'm sure he will address this as he does everything else on here (remarkably so). But, I don't expect him to say much till he does some of his own research on this particular fix. Not prudent to say much yet, and we shouldn't fault him in that either. Its smart and good business.

Yes and looking at a bunch of new stoves in the factory won’t tell him much. The evidence of creo leakage does not appear until it’s been used for awhile.