Ashley AF700 (new to me)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
I just picked up an Ashley AF700 yesterday seller stated "the blower kicks on and off a lot". I think I can see the problem! I know these are the best but for $250 I will try it.

thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail (4).jpg thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail (6).jpg thumbnail (7).jpg

I'd say you got a good deal. Any chance the wood he was burning was wet? ;lol let me guess....'fully seasoned'.....
There was another member recently that added a bimetal thermostatic draft control doohickey to his Claytonfurnace (same design). I thought it looked like a good setup.

I know these are the best but for $250 I will try it.
Yeah, not the best, not the worst...you got a good deal on it though.
Cleaning the HX may help the blower cycling some...it will probably still do it though...make sure the blower is wired to low speed and pay attention to your static pressure too.
added a bimetal thermostatic draft control doohickey to his Claytonfurnace
This probably would be a good candidate for a bimetallic damper control mod...

There was another member recently that added a bimetal thermostatic draft control doohickey to his Claytonfurnace (same design). I thought it looked like a good setup.
Here?

Last edited:
Reactions: andym
That's a hell of a deal! Burn good seasoned wood and keep the draft in spec and do a couple tweaks and it should make a good heater.

I wired the blowers direct to test they run good nice and quiet. I try to get standing dead wood then have it split and covered 9 months plus so wood should be good this years batch was perfect. I will have to check but but I thinks its a single speed blower. I will definitely have to check draft chimney will be around 35' of 6" liner then about 6' stove pipe in the basement with a 90 on the back and most like a T on the bottom of the liner with a 45 connecting them. A key damper may be necessary.

I was wondering how much a 90 45 and T would knock the draft down.

A little, not a lot.
Each 90 is said to negate 2-3' of chimney height...barely puts a dent in a 40' chimney.

Reactions: hobbyheater