Asian carp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
Saw that article myself, but after seeing your post I went back and read the article.

No matter how much you polish a t-u-r-d, it's still a piece of sh1t.

Reactions: MoDoug

I've never seen any but I would like to go do this one day. Around 1:15 it's pretty funny. In all seriousness they can be dangerous. I've heard stories of a guy that got his neck broke, one that a fella got knocked out even. The vibration of aluminum boats going through the water is what triggers the jumping reaction. I would never eat one unless I was starving lol. My dad said when he was a kid they would dynamite the river and all the carp they got they ended up canning and making patties....like salmon sort of. They were pretty poor. He said they weren't fit to eat lol. I imagine Asian carp to be the same.

Reactions: MoDoug
My neighbor is from Mokane MO, which is on the Missouri River, he's got some tales of running up the feeder rivers and creeks. They're big on catfishing and use these carp for bait, they'll literally jump into the boat. I've heard several people say they're good eating fish, properly cleaned and cooked. The Missouri Department of Conservation has been cooking them up at the state fair and boat shows to raise awareness. It's one of the most eaten fish in China. I'm in no hurry to eat any, but if it was cooked up and offered, I'd try it. Sadly, they're not going away.

The reservoir we live on hasn't had any reports of them, however they are right below the dam. That would make water skiing and tubing really dangerous.