Atlanta stove works - Huntsman.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 5, 2016
Frederick md
Excited to have a wood stove again!

So far have figured out if I leave a tiny gap in the bottom air control and 1/2 -3/4 open on top depending on heat demand its smokeless most of the time all while looking like it's making charcoal in the box.

Any one with similar non epa stove greatly appreciated any tips and tricks on burning clean hot or over night much appreciated.

It's currently effortless with upper 40's ambent over night. Only need to burn when it's cloudy for 2 days in a row and windy. But, I know it will become more demanding soon.

I am determined to set my thermostat at 50 this year only to keep water liquid and primarily use the stove for com

Excited to have a wood stove again!

So far have figured out if I leave a tiny gap in the bottom air control and 1/2 -3/4 open on top depending on heat demand its smokeless most of the time all while looking like it's making charcoal in the box.

Any one with similar non epa stove greatly appreciated any tips and tricks on burning clean hot or over night much appreciated.

It's currently effortless with upper 40's ambent over night. Only need to burn when it's cloudy for 2 days in a row and windy. But, I know it will become more demanding soon.

I am determined to set my thermostat at 50 this year only to keep water liquid and primarily use the stove for com

Dont know if my stove is same design as yours, but mine is pretty old. IMO it is a fantastic stove. Holds a bunch of wood and burns as fast or as slow as I want it with no complaints. Wish my much newer Jotul was half as good.

Reactions: Stevenmverrill
Dont know if my stove is same design as yours, but mine is pretty old. IMO it is a fantastic stove. Holds a bunch of wood and burns as fast or as slow as I want it with no complaints. Wish my much newer Jotul was half as good.
So far I have figured out it doesn't like to be choked down atleast for a clean burn. Any less then 1/2 throttle and it flames out and makes smoke. Although I have not figured out how to burn slow and clean. hot and fast works and thermal mass seams to keep things reasonable while asleep and working. But, definitely not coming home to coals with any remaining life.

Good news on that front I just installed hardwood floors and cut/split the extra for fire starting. We are talking 3/4x1/2"~ splits at less then 5%

I probably have a month of kindling redy to go.

I push the coals to the back of the stove until there is a decent pile then put 2 or 3, 24" logs leaning up against the pile before bed. I open the top draft 1 to 1 1/2 turns and one bottom draft 1 turn. Damper at about 35 degrees off vertical. Usually toasty in the mornings with plenty left to relight. I've used this huntsman for 5 years in an A-Frame and it's performed great, runs us out sometimes. We were thinking of buying a newer stove for this winter but this one works so well!
20201007_112525.jpg