Attempted Blaze King Install Today...No Go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
I finally have my King...I've painted it...I've done three burns in the driveway to cure the paint.

Had the installers here today to install the stove...they can't install it like I wanted. Turns out, if we go straight up through the roof with the 8" pipe, it will be slightly in the roof valley where two roofs intersect...large chance of roof leaking if they install it in that valley.

So, my 2 options seem to be: relocate the stove (which the wife won't like) or reroute the pipe. Rerouting the pipe will result in about 48" rise off the stove...then 90 degree elbow through the wall, into the adjacent room...then into a "T" (with a clean-out)...then go straight up through another roof.

Should I have any concerns about this rerouting configuration?

Avoid 90's if at all possible. Use a pair of 45's to make the bends.

Bummer. It should be ok if the horiz leg is not too long and the vertical rise is good. I take it an offset in the room is not possible?

Backpack09 said:

45's would result in the pipe rising at a 45 degree angle as it passes through the wall. I realize anything is possible with enough money and patience, but how would they make the wall penetration look clean and smooth?

BeGreen said:
Bummer. It should be ok if the horiz leg is not too long and the vertical rise is good. I take it an offset in the room is not possible?

The horizontal leg would be just long enough to pass through the wall...which was originally an exterior wall before we added the adjacent room. The vertical, after the "T" would be at least 10 feet.

As for the offset within the room, never thought about that. I suppose it would work, if my wife was OK with the looks of it.

So your saying after the t you only have 10 feet if flue? That's nit very much.

fdegree said:
As for the offset within the room, never thought about that. I suppose it would work, if my wife was OK with the looks of it.

That is how I'm set up. 40" up with a telescopic piece of double wall and then the offset before it connects to the ceiling adapter.

ecocavalier02 said:
So your saying after the t you only have 10 feet if flue? That's nit very much.

Well, I'm estimating a minimum when I said 10'. The adjacent room, that the "T" would be in, has a cathedral ceiling, so there is about 2' - 3' after the "T" before the 8" pipe goes through that ceiling. Then it becomes whatever will be necessary for proper distances above the roof line. I was just assuming 7' - 8' above the roof penetration...perhaps I'm wrong.

If yur chimney can not draw very well with two 90's then you have a poor chimney!

In our living room, we had a desired location for our wood stove that put us directly under the center of the peak of the roof top. Above the living room was the attic.

We were able to go straight up from our desired stove location, with double-wall flue pipe, and then in the attic space, do 2 (two) 45º Angle pieces within a foot of each other, to move out the upper portion of the chimney so that (in our case) we were on the front side of the center of the roof (we could have chosen being on the backside of the peak of course.........just personal preference), avoiding the peak.

Depending on what you have above your desired space, perhaps you could do the same, and avoid having to relocate your stove.

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
In our living room, we had a desired location for our wood stove that put us directly under the center of the peak of the roof top. Above the living room was the attic.

We were able to go straight up from our desired stove location, with double-wall flue pipe, and then in the attic space, do 2 (two) 45º Angle pieces within a foot of each other, to move out the upper portion of the chimney so that (in our case) we were on the front side of the center of the roof (we could have chosen being on the backside of the peak of course.........just personal preference), avoiding the peak.

Depending on what you have above your desired space, perhaps you could do the same, and avoid having to relocate your stove.

-Soupy1957

I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately, there is not enough room above the ceiling to make any kind of offset. The location of the stove is against, what was originally, an exterior wall. The pitch of the roof slants down to this wall, making the attic space, in this location, extremely tight. According to the installers, since the trusses are engineered, instead custom built, they cannot cut them, and brace them some other way, to make room. Therefore, there's just no space in the attic to make an offset with this 8" pipe.

Thanks anyway.

Can you post a picture of the bathroom wall area? That seems to be the logical location, even it it does mean moving some things a bit. The problem is solvable, even the stove looks. In the off-season, it could have board placed on top of it, then covered or given a nice fabric skirt and double as a table or settee. In the winter, when it is burning, it will have a beauty of it's own. Then the fireview will be better than the TV.

BeGreen said:
The problem is solvable, even the stove looks. In the off-season, it could have board placed on top of it, then covered or given a nice fabric skirt and double as a table or settee.

Really? After 1 season burning the King, you will love it as much as your 14 year old dog. Wouldn't put her under a skirt would you ;-)

Sounds like it's the wife that needs convincing. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The only way my wife would let a BK in the living room is under cover. That's no judgment on the stove, she's just fussy and proud of it. She's also a damn fine cook, so I am happy to compromise.

lol, my wife is a damn fine cook as well. Luckily in the pre nup, I included the steel stove clause.

LOL :lol:

BeGreen said:
Can you post a picture of the bathroom wall area? That seems to be the logical location, even it it does mean moving some things a bit.

BeGreen, I sincerely appreciate you continuing to help with this...I'm getting frustrated but you keep tossing out suggestions...which is incredibly helpful...THANKS!!!

I can certainly take a picture and post it. But, I doubt any suggestions will solve my wifes reservations about that location. We can rearrange the furniture and traffic pattern to accommodate this location. The biggest problem for her is it will become the center of attention, which is not a problem for me. But, it will also take up a sufficient amount of floor space, when you consider the size of this stove and the required hearth dimensions. That is a concern of hers, and I must admit, it is for me as well.

We initially had it all worked out nicely before diving into this, until the roof valley ended up a little further over than we thought. From the outside, the valley doesn't look as if it is as far over as it truly is, until you look at it from the attic, which required some removal of the original house roof...as determined by the installers.

Right now, we are leaning toward keeping it in the original location, if we can route the pipe so it ends up in the corner of the sun room, as it penetrates the wall, before it elbows and goes up through the roof. This way, we can build a little closet in the corner of the sun room to hide it, and create some extra storage to boot. Otherwise, she is pushing for placing it in the sun room...which I'm fine with, if we could heat the bedrooms adequately ??????

I'm probably a bad one to ask considering I ripped out an old fireplace and turned around the layout of the livingroom 180 degrees. :lol: I tend to process think outside the box.

Hard to say if the stove will adequately heat from the sunroom location. From the description, it sounds like there are some obstacles working against it like the cathedral ceiling, distance, blower running on high speed becoming annoying?, heat loss in the room if it has a lot of glass, etc.. It seems like trying to make the stove work best in the wife approved location is the best compromise from the options on the table. I would plan on having at least 15' of stack on top of the tee.

The Bathroom wall is doable, it is primarily overcoming her reservation.

Anyway, here are some pics...living room...bathroom wall...sun room

Attachments

• Attempted Blaze King Install Today...No Go
    Living Room.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 514
    LR Wall.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 512
    Sun Room.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 502
That helps a lot. I can see why your first choice was located there.

No matter where you put it, the stove will have some impact. I could see it located on a nice hearth on the bath wall, but it would take some redecorating and moving the sofa over toward the kitchen about 3 feet. Or perhaps swapping the grey chairs' location with the sofa's location?

If the stove was in the sunroom, would it be located in front of the window pointing at the opening (where the brown chair is)?

BeGreen said:
That helps a lot. I can see why your first choice was located there.

No matter where you put it, the stove will have some impact. I could see it located on a nice hearth on the bath wall, but it would take some redecorating and moving the sofa over toward the kitchen about 3 feet. Or perhaps swapping the grey chairs' location with the sofa's location?

If the stove was in the sunroom, would it be located in front of the window pointing at the opening (where the brown chair is)?

If it were placed where the chair is it would be directly under the peak of the sun room roof, requiring an offset within the cathedral ceiling...while that is fine with me, not likely for the wife...I may have to ask that question.

Behind that chair is a double window, as you can see...there is another double window to the left of that one...with a gap between them. So, we were thinking of sliding the stove over to the left a little...centering it in the gap between the 2 sets of double windows...where the floor lamp is sitting.

I don't know if this will help...

Here are 2 more pics...1 looking into the sun room from the living...the other looking from the proposed location of the stove, if it were to be relocated to sun room

Attachments

Sun Room From Out Looking In.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 476
    Sun Room From In Looking Out.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 469
Your original position is what I would do. Hide the offset in a chase, closet, whatever to make it happen. If you put it in the sunroom, you are not going to be happy with how often you have to run the blower.

Backpack09 said:
I tend to agree with that, as 90 deg can give you soot problems and more trouble when cleaning your chimney.

A 45 degree is easy enough to put thru the wall and finnish of around it!

45s don't meet code for the chimney section. Although, I agree that 90s suck and he should put the offset behind drywall to keep the wife happy and put the stove in the best place to heat the house..

Status
Not open for further replies.