Attic ventilation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lml999

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2013
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
We recently had 6" of cellulose blown in on top of FG insulation in our attic. We've had some issues with attic ventilation in the past, and I just checked to see what kind of bay baffles the installers used.

I just learned that the baffles come in multiple widths, and the installers used the 12" wide styrofoam baffles for my 16" ConC roofing. They *should* have used the slightly wider 14" plastic baffles that would allow air movement over more of each bay.

I also don't know if they did any damming at the bottom of each bay. Cellulose meets the roof at the bottom...I'm hoping there's some damming in there, or they would have blocked the drip edge vents where the baffles aren't protecting them...

Now that there's 6" of cellulose, making any changes will be a PITA. However, I want to avoid problems in the future...I'll be pissed if they did plug the drip edge vents.

Does it make any sense for me to pull and replace the 12" wide baffles with the wider ones?

We have continuous drip edge vents and a ridge vent. No soffit vents. Inspector noted that the drip edge vents are pretty good overall.

However, when we get any snow on the roof, the drip edge vents and the ridge vent can be blocked for a while.

I might add soffit vents in the spring.

Thoughts appreciated.

I don't expect the width of the proper vents will make a lot of difference. I would be far more worried about cellulose getting down in the soffits. Proper vents don't do much without adequate soffit vents.