Autostart - lessons learned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
IMG_20170318_155138395.jpg

Burned last night. Stove was luke warm when cleaned out 3pm today, loaded with well seasoned maple, newspaper, closed door. Went upstairs workout. Came down 3:45, the stove is blazing towards 500! Holy smack! I didn't expect residual heat will light the pile, boy was I wrong! N lucky!

I will never leave the stove alone with fuel inside, ever again!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can walk away from a stove with fuel in it. Just not after immediately reloading it. Or set a timer for like 10-15 minutes

Reactions: excessads
I don't think he meant for it to become active.
Probably not. But if you load up a warm stove with wood and paper....there is a good chance something is going to happen. I get it though. I have done it myself. Once.

I would not put paper in a warm stove. Warm stoves require monitoring when loaded.

Reactions: excessads
I'm a burning hulk/hulkess

Yeah, we've all done it, 45 minutes is a long time to leave a restart unattended, but you know that now.. :)

Lucky for you it took 40 minutes to get going ;lol