Auxiliary Wood Shed Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
A few years back I ditched the tarps built what I thought would be my one and only wood shed. Well it turns out I have more wood than shed to cover it, so rather than try and live blissfully knowing some stacks are still exposed, I set about building an auxiliary wood shed.

Same general design as the main shed except for an 18' span, telephone pole posts and a flat shed roof.

Milling the beams... as per online beam span calculator, you need a 6x12 beam of red oak to span 18'. I upped it to 20 ish for some overhang on either end.

IMG_1198.jpg

Posts were buried in holes 30" deep with a big rock at the bottom, and then backfilled. I did this with the previous shed and it's held up fine with no notable heaving/settling after a few winters. Leveling the posts...

IMG_2599.jpg

Posts were notched and then beams set atop. Estimated weight was around 500 lbs each. This is well within the weight limit of the John Deere 430 loader, but I had to rest them on some cribbing on top of the pallet forks to get them high enough to clear the notches on the poles. A little shady but got 'er done. 12' 2x6 rafters span 8' with about 18" overhang on either end after trimming the ends. Little bro helping screw down the 1/2" ply roof sheathing.

IMG_2605.jpg

EPDM in place. I just lay it over the roof decking and screw threw the fascia boards to anchor the edges. Again, this worked well with the previous shed so I figured why change things up.
IMG_2609.jpg

This summer I finally finished filling it up. I think 18x8x6 gives me just under 7 cords here. There are still a few straggler stacks but they'll get used up this winter. Going forward I'll try not to cut more than I have room to store. That, or build a backup auxiliary shed...

IMG_3300.jpg

Nice job!