Avalanche blocks Seward highway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
The only road South of Anchorage.
Warm weather, & rain.
No injuries/deaths, this time. Happens every year. Sometimes days to clean up.

Attachments

• seward_hwy_avalance-dotpf-100218-bruce_gough_akrr.jpg
    seward_hwy_avalance-dotpf-100218-bruce_gough_akrr.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 606
My wife and I went on our honeymoon there in 2008. Can't wait to go back again. I remember pointing out to her the signs when driving about the avalanches. Good to hear no one was hurt!

’bert said:
send that snow to Olympics in BC, they need it.

Or to Southern NH, sled has like no miles on it so far this year. :(

That's where my sister had to wait 5 or 6 hours before the Road Crews finished clearing the highway. My sister lives in Portage . . . works in Anchorage at one of the hospitals.

2 other avalanches have killed 3 people so far. Found 2, and 1 still missing, called off the search due to more avalanche dangers
2 snowmachiners & one skier.

bogydave said:
2 other avalanches have killed 3 people so far. Found 2, and 1 still missing, called off the search due to more avalanche dangers
2 snowmachiners & one skier.

I think it was a year or two ago that my sister sent me a video made by some friends of her husband . . . snowmobiling videos that showed them doing these incredible tricks and jumps . . . I later found out that tragically two of the guys in the video had died later that year in an avalanche. Very sad to lose such talented folks . . . but I am guessing they died doing what they truly loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.