Avalon Arbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
A relative of mine just took receipt of a new Avalon Arbor. He has been burning it for about two weeks and is finding that it seems to "overfire" often and all in all hard to regulate. Does anyone have this particular stove to discuss?

I have had my Avalon Arbor for a couple of months. The weather has turned cold here and I have been burning steady. I have not had any overfiring problems and have become pretty comfortable with adjusting the burn rate. One great peice of advice I got from these boards was to gradually shut the stove down in stages. I find that when my temp gets around 500 f I close the bypass about half way for the next 30-40 min. Then I close the bypass totally with the air control fully open. I then close that in stages. My temp will usually drop to 400-450 f and I am able to maintain that for most of the night.

The Arbor seems to have really good air flow when wide open. If you burn wide open for a while you could easily overfire her. I guess maybe the same could be said for most stoves. Please update me and let me know how your cousin made out.

I have the Lopi Leyden stove. It is the same stove, built by the same Travis Industries, but with a different brand name.

I was wondering what stove top temps is the unit getting and how fast is the stove going through the wood.

There have been a few problems reported with the enamel painted stoves having a few "bumps" in the seal area of the ash pan door. That will push the temps way up and use the wood quickly. This problem will make the stove almost impossible to regulate. Sometimes the ash pan door handle needs tightened up. That can be found in the manual on page 33 (more or less beat the little door catch to submission).

I'll add this to give something to compare. When I push in the primary air control, the fire will decrease to a slow and lazy flame. This would be normal.

On the other hand, if the ash pan door had an air leak - the coal bed would glow brighter after pushing in the primary air. Shutting down the primary air would cause more draw on an ash door air leak. That air would pass through the coal bed and cause it to glow noticeably brighter.

If I can be of any help - DO send me a private message. I am sure habsfan70 would like to be included in following this matter as well.

BJ64, I was not aware of this problem. I will definately be on the lookout for this. My experience with the primary air control is exactly as you described: Low glow with a lazy flame. Thanks again for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.